Importing Question (VIN)

TravelinLight

Good morning,

I tried to do a quick search on this but did not see it called out. If I am looking at a UK based 110 it needs to be numbers matching and 25 years old to make it to the US.

My question is will the VIN be the same for the Frame, the Engine, and the Bulkhead plate exactly or are their variations of the numbers / subset of the VIN which will be stamped on the engine and frame? Does this make sense?

I am trying to insure I have my ducks in a row.

Example VIN Salldhmf7ja123456
Will this be stamped on all three exactly?
Engine number just 123456 to correspond?
Frame 123456 same?

Also who would you recommend to assist with import process if everything works out? (UK to US east coast RORO)

Thank you, trying to avoid getting burned on the purchase and having a rig stuck in the import lot due to something that can be avoided.

The Dro

Illustrious
I didn't stayed at the Holiday Inn Express... But the VIN number has to match the VIN plate and the chassis. original engine type, etc. The engine/tranny t-case have serial numbers... not a VIN.

Doug (aka Uncle Douglas) can give you more details and can even help you bring the truck in... you should contact him and hire his services.

Doug@DividingCreekImports.com

TravelinLight

Thank you, I have heard good things about Doug so will drop him a note. As I am wondering about the 2 separate numbers between the VIN and Engine Number.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Pretty sure it only has to be same type of engine and transmission. Something along the lines of “no modifications from original,” but a emplacement engine of same type isn’t a modification.

vintagepatina

the vin includes a digit that is specific to the type of engine

the type of engine must match the vin

there is no such thing as a "numbers matching" land rover as engine numbers etc were not matched/catalogged to any specific vin when built.

TravelinLight

the vin includes a digit that is specific to the type of engine

the type of engine must match the vin

there is no such thing as a "numbers matching" land rover as engine numbers etc were not matched/catalogged to any specific vin when built.

Thank you, that helps as I want to follow the process and make sure I do not make a stupid mistake. (To include pass up a good rig because the engine number did not match the VIN plate)

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
So lets take your vin and see what we find in Calvin/Clifton http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
H Wheel base: 110 inch
M Body type: 4-door station wagon (LWB)
F Engine type: 2.5 litre Tdi diesel, model 11L (200Tdi) or model 16L (300Tdi)
7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
J Model year: 1992
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
123456 Serial number

So you are looking at a 110 Station Wagon built in 1992.
It should have a 200tdi engine that uses the engine type number 11L .
It should not be equipped with a 300tdi as that engine was not introduced until 1994.
It is RHD.
I would expect to see a LT77 5 speed gear box not a R380 However I sure hope that wouldn't upset Customs.

TravelinLight

Rocky exactly. That is what I came up with and have been in contact with Doug who was support helpful and responsive. If I can make this deal work will post up success.

The Dro

Illustrious
So lets take your vin and see what we find in Calvin/Clifton http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html

SAL Manufacturer code: Land Rover
LD Model: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
H Wheel base: 110 inch
M Body type: 4-door station wagon (LWB)
F Engine type: 2.5 litre Tdi diesel, model 11L (200Tdi) or model 16L (300Tdi)
7 Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
J Model year: 1992
A Assembly location: Solihull, UK
123456 Serial number

So you are looking at a 110 Station Wagon built in 1992.
It should have a 200tdi engine that uses the engine type number 11L .
It should not be equipped with a 300tdi as that engine was not introduced until 1994.
It is RHD.
I would expect to see a LT77 5 speed gear box not a R380 However I sure hope that wouldn't upset Customs.
Coincidence you mention this... I'm looking at a 110 that was converted to autobox and Doug just told me that there are no laws governing transmission.

BenLittle

Callsign: KE7BEN
I seriously wonder whether all of this depends on the port you import to. I imported to Long Beach a few years ago when all of the trucks were being seized on the East coast.

Yes my truck checked all of these boxes because it was exMOD but I'm not convinced my truck had any sort of inspection. I only think this because I had called the port prior to importing and spoke to the vehicle import guy. He was so casual about it all which was really strange because of all the East coast stuff happening.

That being said, there's obviously no reason to chance getting your truck seized. Check the boxes and drive your dream truck, legally.

AdamSanta85

I seriously wonder whether all of this depends on the port you import to. I imported to Long Beach a few years ago when all of the trucks were being seized on the East coast.

Yes my truck checked all of these boxes because it was exMOD but I'm not convinced my truck had any sort of inspection. I only think this because I had called the port prior to importing and spoke to the vehicle import guy. He was so casual about it all which was really strange because of all the East coast stuff happening.

That being said, there's obviously no reason to chance getting your truck seized. Check the boxes and drive your dream truck, legally.

Lucky. Port of Newark raped me. Extra month in holding, couple extra grand in storage/transport/exam fee's, Contraband Enforcement Team examination, the whole nine. Luckily I had all my I's dotted and T's crossed, but they tried to do me dirty. I was told I was likely flagged because I was a first time importer.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Lucky. Port of Newark raped me. Extra month in holding, couple extra grand in storage/transport/exam fee's, Contraband Enforcement Team examination, the whole nine. Luckily I had all my I's dotted and T's crossed, but they tried to do me dirty. I was told I was likely flagged because I was a first time importer.

Container ?

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I seriously wonder whether all of this depends on the port you import to.

It's more an individual officer thing.
We have a LHD 110 coming to us from France (Cummins 2.8 build), ship is arriving tomorrow, It cleared Customs on Tuesday.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict

Proof that using Uncle Doug is worth it.

The Dro

Illustrious
Tax dollars at its best :D

blueboy

"I was told I was likely flagged because I was a first time importer."

I brought back 2 vehicles seperately from Switzerland by container and didn't have any problems. Doug also gave me some great advice as well when I first looked into doing it.

Used Portland, ME for the Port of Entry and a local freight forwarder who had the one of the vehicles unloaded and waiting for me. They knew the folks at the Port and it went very smoothly. No delays, extra fees, etc.

The other container had it shipped still loaded after inspection up to Maine without any problems.

Agree having all the paperwork is paramont, yet, also feel the Port of Entry does make a difference. Small, local like Portland versus a city like NYC or Newark. Worth the flight up.

And the lobster is pretty tasty in Portland.

TravelinLight

Well I do not want to jinx anything until I have 90wt leaking on my driveway, but will rely on Uncle Doug to guide me through the process and insure we have everything squared away AND legally imported.

Will post pictures once the rig clears customs.

xplorutah

UD

UD is worth it no matter what you are bringing in. I am using him for my Alfa Romeo 1300 Super in July. And I used him for the 110 I brought in from France at the height of the Seize and Crush (that is what I call the time when the Gov't seizing stuff was happening) days.