Pouring fuel from a jerry can.

SARTech

Is there a better way to get fuel out of a jerry can? I have some old school jerry cans that I carry with me during hunting season due to the small 15 gal fuel tank on my D90. I have the flexible steel nozzle that screws into the can, again old school. The problem is that it takes an agonizingly long time to empty the 5 gallons. It seams that the slow pour rate is due to poor venting and the 1-1/2? dimeter of the nozzle.
Is there a better and quicker way? What do you guys use?
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpg
    IMG_9037.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 169

blueboy

"I prefer to use shaker siphon hoses."

Yep, same here - just make sure the hose is long enough to go from the can to the tank.

Empties a 20 liter can very quickly.

AdamSanta85

I've got the plastic Scepter military cans. They work pretty fast and don't leak fuel anywhere. I use it with the Scepter filler hose. Their water cans are pretty good too.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Consider adding the long range built in tank from RN. Not cheap but helps tremendously. Now if I can go diesel....when then....the range will be amazing

broncoduecer

Technical Excellence Contributor
I just watched some of the videos from the jagmte.com guy. I have one of the 3/4” spouts and thought it was leaking on me. But in his part 2 video he explains its fuel that’s in the breather that dribbles out. So I’ll give it another shot and see if it does indeed stop dribbling after a bit. So if you’re new to the scepter cans like I am keep that in mind.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
On the American style screw in nozzle cans this is definitely a common issue . I had a few way back in the day and got so fed up that ended up just drilling a hole in the top of the can on the opposite side of the fuel spout and tapping it for an npt pipe plug. I was just remove the plug when pouring it was good to go

SARTech

On the American style screw in nozzle cans this is definitely a common issue . I had a few way back in the day and got so fed up that ended up just drilling a hole in the top of the can on the opposite side of the fuel spout and tapping it for an npt pipe plug. I was just remove the plug when pouring it was good to go

That is what i was thinking, install a petcock that can be opened when pouring.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I've got the plastic Scepter military cans. They work pretty fast and don't leak fuel anywhere. I use it with the Scepter filler hose. Their water cans are pretty good too.

I have 6-8 scepter mfc's. Live in the sticks (nearest country store is 8 miles away) and everything: lawn mower, fork lift, farm tractor, etc are all diesel so use the cans a lot. Only way to roll. anything else dribles fuel all over.