TDI exhaust smell

Bozman

Since I am relatively new to the TDI world of ownership ('91 200tdi w/ 125k) I am starting to redefine what is "normal".

I am wondering how "smelly" the exhaust should be? I have a strong diesel exhaust odor that fills my garage while the truck is idling, small amounts of smoke on startup until warm, and also when under power. These all seem "normal" but after driving it I smell diesel exhaust all day.

Is the "smelly diesel odor cologne" just part of the fun of having a diesel?

Thanks!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
How long have you been running/driving this engine? Was it, like mine, stored for a long time before this?

I'm finding that the cold idle with some smoke is normal, and that it will stay that way as long as the engine is cold. Within a mile or so of driving, this light grey smoke clears up and I don't see it at all after. The smell also seems to clear up a bit, but I think if I pulled it into the garage and let it idle while warm, I might smell it just as much.

I get some black smoke coughing out of it when I accelerate quickly, but almost always it is otherwise pretty clear.

Bozman

I am sure it has not been driven much in the last 12 months or so while it was being purchased/imported and then purchased by me.

I have had it for a month or so, just replaced the timing belt, fluids, etc. and hope to get some miles on it over the next few months.

I had a 110 w/ a 200tdi several years ago and it was the same thing, from a "smelliness" perspective.

AdamSanta85

They do smell. However mine had really dirty injectors when I first got it. Having them rebuilt mad a huge difference. In smoke, smell, and performance.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict

Attachments

• 4060fa0798e32a106267e641021a61d7.jpg
    4060fa0798e32a106267e641021a61d7.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 171

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
The diesel smell is second only to rain and river crossings for a reason to have your vehicle properly weather sealed.

Jeff B

They absolutely stink.

That's a reason I'm selling one of mine. Can't stand the smell any more...

I dont know which is worse... the puny 300 Tdi which belches dirtier smoke or the 7.3 Powerstroke which is just hard to be around and actually breathe.... /rant off/

hillstrubl

Founding Member
Aside from the exhaust smell, the liquid fuel is known to protect humans from being smelled by fictional hybrid dinosaurs.

jurassic-world.png

Toyrover

my 200tdi was pretty stinky, but then realized i was missing the seal on the lower part of the back door, big difference!

Daddymow

They absolutely stink.

That's a reason I'm selling one of mine. Can't stand the smell any more...

I dont know which is worse... the puny 300 Tdi which belches dirtier smoke or the 7.3 Powerstroke which is just hard to be around and actually breathe.... /rant off/

Jeff, quit I huffing the tailpipes of your trucks. I know it's a good buzz and all, but that shit is bad for you.

Viton

I push ours outdoors before starting it.
Our garage dry walls starting showing signs (graying) suet accumulation.
It's those 1st puffs that accumulate over time on the walls.
When arriving home, I get close to the door, shut the engine off & coast into the garage.

rovercolorado

Agree with everyone with small puff at start and a little white smoke until warmed up. My truck lives outside since I have a rack so no smell in house or garage.
My wife notices the smell but I have gotten used to it.
I do notice a deference with the smell between normal low sulfur diesel and B20. I also noticed when I had a small fuel spill that the B20 left a darker spot and was a little harder to clean up. Normal diesel just evaporated after a small spill.
With diesel testing in Colorado the inspector said it's normal to have a little dark smoke under heavy acceleration when the turbo is boosting but it must clear after at idle to pass.

rovercolorado

Funny thing is I know others that run waste oil and it does smell like someone cooking. I thought in my mind that B20 would have a more mild smell like waste oil. It does not smell at all pleasant. IMHO it's worse that normal diesel. However it is good as they are using recycled products in the process and the PM & NOx is lower.

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Funny thing is I know others that run waste oil and it does smell like someone cooking. I thought in my mind that B20 would have a more mild smell like waste oil. It does not smell at all pleasant. IMHO it's worse that normal diesel. However it is good as they are using recycled products in the process and the PM & NOx is lower.

I do agree with yourthoughts regarding using recycled products in the process and the PM & NOx is lower...

However most B20 is made with virgin, ie unused rapeseed oil.
Unless you know the granular details of the refinement and B20 blending process(es) there is no way you can broadly state that the B20 is made with WVO, because it generally isn't, but certainly can be and is in some cases.

rovercolorado

Mostly going by the statements on the biodiesel.org site but as I read them again I see the real quote "renewable resources" so you're correct as long as it's plant based it's renewable.
The local source I have spoken with states many sources can be used including recycled but not always.
So I'll have to be happy that at least it's a little cleaner. The diesel emissions testing site tells many customers to use B20 if they have a truck that has issues with passing so it can't be a bad choice.