Prop Shaft - GBR vs Tom Woods

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
GBR shafts are built by Six States (GBR's "driveline division"). I'm not 100% certain on this but I believe that they have Spicer U-joints. I've run them and had fine luck with them. In fact, I think I might even have a used one to sell. They're not "cheap" and you're dealing with GBR.

Tom Wood's, like GBR, is also Utah-based. They build their own driveshafts (no outsourcing) and can build whatever you want. You call them with the measurements and they build to order and ship direct. I called and had my shafts at my door here in Kansas three days later. Theirs is a very nice product and they are great to work with. They use Spicer 1310 U-joints, which are about as universal as you can get. You can get replacements at any auto parts store. Their dual-cardan shafts include a grease fitting to grease the centering ball.

I have seen both brands fail. The key to driveshaft life is using quality U-joints and maintaining them with frequent lubrication. Buy a magnetic level (or use one of the iPhone apps) and measure the angle of your t-case output flange and your diff pinion flange and provide this to the vendor when you call and they will square you away with the right style.

My personal choice? Tom Wood's. The story behind that is best told with whiskey and a big campfire.

rovercolorado

I have seen first hand Tom Woods quality and quick build times and deliveries. I have also seen them used in Jeeps of all kinds also with much success. Custom built to spec looks to have a leg up IMHO. In my early years in Rovers (mid 90's) GBR was used heavily but I'm sure of the quality today.
Vote for Tom

Dan kemper

Founding Member
Callsign: KK6ECF
I have had both. TW sent out new shafts asap and perfectly built to my specs. GBRs worked great as well. Nice to not have an adapter with the TW.

1of40

My front GBR DC has been in my truck for 12 years. They all need care and maintenance. I'd never heard GBR outsources their shafts before. If you're torn I'd recommend giving Bill at GBR a call. He's a great guy and it's always a little more fun supporting the Rover community. BTW, my GBR diffs are also 12yrs/120k miles and doing well(plug).

mongosd2

Or find a local driveline shop...Niether are using anything "special or custom" on the shafts they sell and by buying local, you can adress any issues by driving the truck over to the shop

Just my .02 cents from dealing with both

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Yep, totally agree on the local driveline shop. I've done that, too. Out here in the middle of Kansas, however, there isn't a good driveline shop within an easy driving distance so mail-order is my best bet.