KAM Salisbury axles

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Has anybody run a set of these axles on a drum brake 110? I ordered a set and verified that I got the correct part number and length, but they won't work on my truck because the splines on the outer ends are not cut long enough to accept my truck's thick flanges enough to get the circlip on. I don't understand why KAM would sell a product that's incompatible like this.

The vendor suggested running them without circlips but that seems like a bad idea. I'm concerned that there won't be enough spline contact if the shaft slips onward and the shaft could also get wedged in the diff and be difficult to remove.

Even more frustrating is that I found a photo on EE of Jack Quinlan's KAM shafts and the splines on his are at least twice as long as the ones on mine. Obviously, KAM was doing it right at one point.

I suppose I could run thin flanges although I'm unsure if they are compatible with my hubs.

LR Max

Unless KAM has gotten their act together in the last few years, I would pass on all of their products. Seems like their equipment can't even last through one trail ride.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Thin flanges will fit on your hubs...

I guess that's the route I'm going to have to go. Given that the old trucks came with thick flanges, I'm not sure why KAM would make a shaft that is designed for a drum brake Sals axle but is not compatible with the factory thick flanges. It's strange.