2.5td Need help with pin adjustment on split diaphragm

Chefdaddyscoti

Had fuel leakage from split diaphragm. Got the part went to replace it and the old one was totally destroyed and the nut was just completely loose and laying in there when I removed the cover. Diaphragm was totally torn. So. I didn't have a base line to go from when I removed it. I put it back together. Runs fine. But seems really flat in power now. Can anyone educated me of where that pin should be. Further out? Further in? Fuel leak fixed but is feeling less powerful than before.

SARTech

Good question and I had the same problem when I replaced my failed diaphragm. I was unable to find any standard baseline spec.
So what I did; I assembled it with the adjustment screw protruding from the diaphragm and washer 2.0mm. Ran the rig and it seamed to be over-fueling, lots of black smoke, I readjusted to 1.5mm and ran it again, a little less smoke but seamed to still be over-fueling. I readjusted it to where it is now at about 1.mm.
I also have seem that not all diaphragms have the small thin washed up against the diaphragm, that would effect your measurements.
Hope that helps. Nothing specific just trial and error.

Chefdaddyscoti

moving the pin out

mine was only out about 1mm when i put it back together. I will adjust it out a little more to at least 2mm since i didnt have any black smoke coming out under full load.

AdamSanta85

Had fuel leakage from split diaphragm. Got the part went to replace it and the old one was totally destroyed and the nut was just completely loose and laying in there when I removed the cover. Diaphragm was totally torn. So. I didn't have a base line to go from when I removed it. I put it back together. Runs fine. But seems really flat in power now. Can anyone educated me of where that pin should be. Further out? Further in? Fuel leak fixed but is feeling less powerful than before.

There's no mark/groove worn on the pin from where it was riding on the the other pin? (not sure name)

What adjustment screw protrusion are you guys talking about? From the smoke screw on top?

2.5TD is the same pump as the 200/300's?

Any pics?

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
2.5TD is the same pump as the 200/300's?

Nope.
It is a Lucas CAV pump.

mbBelSfMG0lX9jnaHeiFI6A.jpg

The 200/300Tdi is a Bosch pump.

ERR4046.jpg

Chefdaddyscoti

Problem solved

Just an update for those reading this thread. Adjusted the pin out to 2mm. Then I noticed that whomever owned the truck before me swapped the boost line and the return fuel line. To the injection pump After swapping them back to the correct position the truck runs like a top. Where I could barely maintain above 50 mph. I can cruise at 65mph up a hill with the wind in my face!

SARTech

Just an update for those reading this thread. Adjusted the pin out to 2mm. Then I noticed that whomever owned the truck before me swapped the boost line and the return fuel line. To the injection pump After swapping them back to the correct position the truck runs like a top. Where I could barely maintain above 50 mph. I can cruise at 65mph up a hill with the wind in my face!

Nice, glad things are heading the right direction. Good job.