Wanting to purchase a good used LR3

1of40

Maybe I’m staying the obvious but one of the attractive aspects of the LR3 is the availability of good used parts. Unfortunately D1 stuff seems to be running thin. The LR3 has a bright future in the off-road Land Rover community on a number of levels and will probably be what pumps the brakes on the ROW D’s at least until the Td5’s are running ashore.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I'm constantly amazed at how many LR3/4 go off road. Not only that they do pretty dang good. Sure they need a bit more TLC to get through some spots.

Howski

I'm constantly amazed at how many LR3/4 go off road. Not only that they do pretty dang good. Sure they need a bit more TLC to get through some spots.

Took my LR3 out for the first time at MAR. You absolutely feel the larger size and wheelbase on the trails. Felt a whole lot bigger than my D2 even. Luckily escaped without any body contact on the trees

SARTech

I did find what I hope turns out to be a good used LR3. I took a 20 hour greyhound bus ride (ill never do that again) to Bozeman MT and picked up a 2006, SE with 105K miles with what appears to be a good maintenance history. The truck originated in Washington state and the owners moved to MT last year. It still had WA plates.
It is a 5 seater, I like the idea of not having the extra 130lbs for the third row seats. Cold weather package and the locking rear diff.
I drove it 1000 miles home with several side trips along the way.
Overall it seams good. There is a rattle-rumble noise that sounds like it is coming from the dash which I think is a HVAC blend motor???
Purchase price was $6800.
So Land Rover number 2 added to the fleet.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 219

copleymotorcars

5 seater with a locking rear diff is nearly a unicorn and, with great mileage to boot. very well bought at $6800. in my neck of the woods, it would be twice that.

AdamSanta85

I did find what I hope turns out to be a good used LR3. I took a 20 hour greyhound bus ride (ill never do that again) to Bozeman MT and picked up a 2006, SE with 105K miles with what appears to be a good maintenance history. The truck originated in Washington state and the owners moved to MT last year. It still had WA plates.
It is a 5 seater, I like the idea of not having the extra 130lbs for the third row seats. Cold weather package and the locking rear diff.
I drove it 1000 miles home with several side trips along the way.
Overall it seams good. There is a rattle-rumble noise that sounds like it is coming from the dash which I think is a HVAC blend motor???
Purchase price was $6800.
So Land Rover number 2 added to the fleet.

Damn well done. LR3's look best in white.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Nice! And my buddy ended up with an LR4. He traded out two crappy old vehicles and got the LR4 for his wife. She's in love.

1of40

Nice truck. Get those trans and diff fluids serviced and be sure to use the recommended ones. I've heard some noisy rear diffs and the fix isn't cheap.

1of40

water pumps are wear items, but cheap.

some have injector issues which must be replaced as a set of 8 for ~900.

most notably, timing chain tensioners and guides are problematic but this is most apparent on 2010 and 2011 engines. some 2012s. supposedly fixed mid 2012 production. the repair is a couple thousand dollars at a reputable shop.

the variable camshaft timing actuators are prone to sludging up and giving faults if the oil changes are neglected.

overall nothing i lose sleep over and i own two 5.0s, as mentioned in the other thread.

adam

Add this to the list of things to look into and do some due diligence on. My friend that owns an indie shop showed me an Autologic LR training video re the 5.0 high fuel pressure woes. The video was long so I won?t try to explain it all. The issue that AL was making was this is not something LR has answers for. The 2k psi it takes to make these engines work are brutal to trouble shoot and fix. One culprit is low octane fuel use. They said these systems can?t survive on anything under 97.

Please don?t take this as scripture I?m just passing on something that seems to have potential teeth to it.