LR3 Bluetooth module, British American concepts

rlynch356

Quick review...

Pros:
works great
Adds 2 high speed USB ports (3.2v fast charge)
Keeps aux in jack
Adds mic in jack
Super easy install, tool less too.

Cons:
Volume not super loud (iPhone iOS 14.1) ymmv
Some operator retraining required.

The unit is well made, and fits perfectly. Install was as easy as snapping out the stock price, disconnecting 2 connectors.
These plug into the LRBT-1 and it snaps back in place of the stock unit.
Easy.

Pairing is easy as it comes up as LRBT-1 no code, just pair and set your radio to aux, and play whatever

Now the cons...

Apparently the lr3 and rrs with a key start have variable voltage when starting, starts at battery voltage (12.4 for me) then drop to 9v ish when starting on the six circuit. This interrupts the LRBT-1 start up and basically it never comes on.

2 solutions
1) insert key turn 1 clock wait 1-2 seconds then start. Works every time.

2) while running... you can turn the key to start and hold for 4-5 seconds, the starter will not engage if running (its smart) this reboots the sub subsystems (AC, radio, 12v outlets, probably more.. dunno)

So some operator retraining required is the easiest thing to do.

Works and is integrated, with Only the one PITA factor. Overall pretty good for a gen 1, cottage industry bespoke price of electronics
1d936890f8104b2b326c30aeb9644c9a.jpg

WeBeCinYa

Thanks for the review. I was hopeful that the volume would be louder. Mine is not loud at all at max position with just the aux wire. How does it compare wire vs this Bluetooth set up on volume? Same?

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
You should look at the NavTV kits. I put one in my wife's Range Rover and the audio is perfect quality and as loud as you set it on your phone. The NavTV kit splices into the MOST network and overrides the factory audio system. However, the factory bluetooth phone still works as designed. I added a $20 12V Bluetooth to RCA adapter from amazon to make the NavTV kit wireless.

rlynch356

I think it is software limited (on the iPhone or maybe the head unit since it is coming in from AUX source) since it is coming in via iOS. Not sure but still sounds very good, just not super loud. Its about the same as the Aux jack in terms of volume. Actually the biggest benefit are the 2 high power USB ports. They charge super fast. I have an SE with no Nav so normally use one up from in a 12v socket but its worth while to get a longer cord and use those.

I?m happy and supporting the cottage industry of LR products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
I just don't understand why companies release products that aren't great. They aren't a mass producer, why release a sub-par product?

rlynch356

I think getting it on the BUS so to speak would be the way to go. And take care of the volume issues since it would be a true digital source. Anyway it works good, wait 1-2 seconds before starting and your good.

Honestly its a great 1st gen product. And its made entirely in the dudes garage (including printing the boards from what i have seen.) i mean shit i work in software and its a good first shot out of the box.

AdamSanta85

Shit you are almost in new head unit territory at that price

So I have been doing some research into this as I have been shopping for LR3, and a big pain point for me was no Bluetooth, hence why I am excited about this new product.

I think there are some issues going full aftermarket due to canbus intergration... but I could be wrong.

Ray_G

Shit you are almost in new head unit territory at that price

Not for an LR3 with the HK setup unless you want to do a lot of work yourself to sidestep things.

The add in module is pretty nice, and I don't understand why people think $159 is a lot of money for a decent add on to a subpar system.

If I hadn't just modified all my shit to have standalone bluetooth, hardwired USBs from the aux battery, and the like I'd def have gotten one without blinking an eye.

Howski

So I have been doing some research into this as I have been shopping for LR3, and a big pain point for me was no Bluetooth, hence why I am excited about this new product.

You can get a Bluetooth transmitter for a few bucks that plugs into the cig lighter and aux jack. Certainly not as clean as this but gets the job done for he most part. Volume doesn?t get incredibly loud, unfortunately, but isn?t much worse than standard radio volume levels. Quick and cheap solution to get Bluetooth audio in your LR3 regardless of the stereo trim

NPT90

I think there are some issues going full aftermarket due to canbus intergration... but I could be wrong.

Fair enough, aftermarket to factory stereo is always a crap shoot sadly.

Too many variables regarding OS version, hardware version, and overall integration.

I guess for a factory look $159 isn't going to break the bank

stu454

Callsign: KN4CBB
Meh, maybe it is worth $159. Plug-and-play and not having to deal with wires to listen to Pandora or the tunes on my phone would be a nice change.

AdamSanta85

You can get a Bluetooth transmitter for a few bucks that plugs into the cig lighter and aux jack. Certainly not as clean as this but gets the job done for he most part. Volume doesn?t get incredibly loud, unfortunately, but isn?t much worse than standard radio volume levels. Quick and cheap solution to get Bluetooth audio in your LR3 regardless of the stereo trim

Fair enough. I haven't used one of those in a long time, but my past experience was so-so (static), maybe they have improved

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
The add in module is pretty nice, and I don't understand why people think $159 is a lot of money for a decent add on to a subpar system.

Sounds more like a subpar add on to me. Why waste money on something that only works pretty okay?

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
So there's a minor bit of inconvenience as you get to "learn" how to use it. With four cars on my fleet, I have to hit a mental refresh button bouncing between them.
The addition of two high speed USB points is very good. Especially with the incoming iphone/iPads rumored higher power charging demand/capability.

rlynch356

Yeah the ?wait? before turning it on is a pita, but overall solid effort.
My volume issue is probably my truck - i need to reflash the stereo or replace it - the Sat radio gives no sound so something is messed up there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hillstrubl

Founding Member
Just to update this thread, there's a 2nd gen of this product. That's the one I have/had in the LR3 I just sold. It eliminates the turning on/voltage issue and works 100% of the time. The volume isn't super loud, but its really not hard to just remember to turn the knob a bit if coming from aux to FM or vice versa. I HIGHLY recommend this as a very easy way to add bluetooth to the car very easily. I also second the praise about the high wattage USB ports.