Available swap "kits"

AdamSanta85

Can someone put together some data, url's, pricing, photos, and advantages and disadvantages for the available swap kits?

Is Nicks kit the same kit that Ash uses? I see some trucks online that are still running R380 transmission?

pmatusov

Technical Excellence Contributor
Callsign: AK6PM
Can someone put together some data, url's, pricing, photos, and advantages and disadvantages for the available swap kits?

Is Nicks kit the same kit that Ash uses? I see some trucks online that are still running R380 transmission?
I can't answer for Nick, but I doubt it. Hope he finally chimes on - he really has it sorted out.

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
I bought a Lokar shifter kit from Nick and the workmanship was excellent.
Currently am trying to purchase a GM PS conversion for our 1994 V8 Disco I from Nick, the workmanship is excellent.

Ash

Nick is very active behind the scenes developing parts and offering support for shops, and between that and his full time engineering job I can't imagine he's got a whole lot of time to burn on the forums. I've tried to pay it forward and alleviate some of his load by helping a lot of you guys out to the best of my abilities in offering advice and suggestions since he's been a massive help to me with these conversions.

To answer your question, Adam, the conversion parts that I use are almost exclusively those of Nicks -- primarily the LT230 to 6L80 adapter, engine mounts, shifter pedestal (for Lokar equipped trucks) and radiator. Depending on what the build calls for I may stray off into my own realm here or there, but Nick offers such rock solid components that it's hard to justify.

I'm on swaps 4 and 5 currently so most of the bugs are ironed out on my end at this point. I'm more than happy to offer guidance to anyone finding themselves lost.

-Ash

Ash

Ha! I honestly have given a lot of thought towards it -- to the point of documenting, sometimes loosely, the process of converting one of the trucks I have on the floor currently. Perhaps I'll get a thread put together.

-Ash

mongosd2

Attachments

• IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 712

Ash

The issue with the 4L80 adapter from Mark's is that it the LT230 has to be spaced quite far off the tailhousing to clear the wide transmission pan. In a buggy it's a non issue, but in a full-bodied truck you're suddenly faced with a transfer case that is now sitting 8" further back than it originally was. Now your transfer case needs a custom linkage or cable shifter, you need two new driveshafts, and on a 110 you can't run the parking brake because it falls right on top of one of the frame crossmembers.

The beauty of Nick's 6L80 adapter is that it uses the transfer case, in its factory location, to position the rest of the driveline in the truck. No shifter clearance issues, no new driveshafts (on NAS trucks). It practically falls in place.

-Ash

mongosd2

agree...just throwing out other options...Advacned adapters does a series tcase to nv4500 adapter and I thought Novak did some, but they may have been one-offs...

Ash

The 6L80 and NV4500 (not certain yet which one, specifically, since theres a thousand versions) have the same mounting flange and output shaft so the LT230 adapter works for both platforms. The NV is a wet tailhousing so the adapter will need a couple of seals but it's cross compatible.

-Ash

mongosd2

The 6L80 and NV4500 (not certain yet which one, specifically, since theres a thousand versions) have the same mounting flange and output shaft so the LT230 adapter works for both platforms. The NV is a wet tailhousing so the adapter will need a couple of seals but it's cross compatible.

-Ash

yep...

Landy_Andy

-Ash

You need the GM 4wd version with the 32 spline output shaft. Early (92-94) have a bull low first and different size bell housing bolt pattern. Later use the Dodge pattern with a taller first with synchro. Best source are 3/4t gas trucks as they don't suffer from loose overdrive nuts caused by the torque pulses from a Diesel engine. You can get an improved locking nut to cure that issue if doing a rebuild on yours.

safarihp

There is no issue with using the Marks Adapter kit for the 4L80 on a 110 or 90. The parking brake fits perfectly and the DIFF Lock Shifter is an easy MOD as is the rest of the kit.

SMac

Ha! I honestly have given a lot of thought towards it -- to the point of documenting, sometimes loosely, the process of converting one of the trucks I have on the floor currently. Perhaps I'll get a thread put together.

-Ash

Ash - When can we expect this here how to guide thing for LS swaps you volunteered for?..... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk