Spring vs. space lift

RiftRover

Getting ready to lift the RRC and would really like to keep the ride quality that the truck has now. I've never used a spacer lift but the thought was I could keep the stock coils to avoid the stiff ride but still get the lift. I'm talking about the spacers that go between the lower spring seat and the axle. What are the drawbacks? Less travel? Thoughts appreciated.

BenLittle

Callsign: KE7BEN
I've personally always used some form of spacer in all my rovers.. mostly to level out a sagging rear (while heavily laden). I've also used the 'rubber isolators' as well which add ~.50 - these can be added top/bottom all the way around. I've found they significantly reduce road and spring vibration as well.

Ray_G

x2 on what Ben said; I have found myself using small spacers to level things out as well as the Dii rubber isolators, top and bottom at times, to adjust height too. Depending on what tire size you are trying to fit, the isolators may be the way to go. You can also attenuate road vibration a little by switching to the Dii front shock tower retaining setup (a small rubber cone of sorts).
r-
Ray

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I used 2 inch spacers under my lwb because I liked the stock spring ride but wanted to run 265's. I am running the longer travel Bilsteins designed for the LWB.

RiftRover

I used 2 inch spacers under my lwb because I liked the stock spring ride but wanted to run 265's. I am running the longer travel Bilsteins designed for the LWB.
Hey Doug, do you have any photos of your truck? I'm planning to run 265s or 235s and was thinking 2-3" of lift. Do you wheel your LWB at all? One thing I liked about the spring lift I had on the 110 was that I was comfortable not running sway bars. With softer stock springs on the LWB I'm not sure that would be the case..

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
here's a pair

Attachments

• IMG_0650 (2).JPG
    IMG_0650 (2).JPG
    844.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0889 (4).JPG
    IMG_0889 (4).JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 231

Howski

I run D1 front springs + D1 spring seats in the rear for about 1" of lift. As mentioned the spring Isolators and trim packers are great to get a little level your truck. If you're not going to load it up too much or put armor on it the added ride quality is great from the softer OE spring rates

Jeff B

I've run 1" spacers before without any issues; 2" should be fine.

I also recommend the rubber isolators.
These will dampen vibration but also give you slight lift(1/4" per ring).

BenLittle

Callsign: KE7BEN
Keep in mind that your spacers should be of extremely high quality and of micro precision. Here's an epic thread to remember how precision is key.