Help! Loss of Power/Won't restart

Rivet

Founding Member
So there I was...off to get some exhaust work done this morning and it died on me.

Background: It's been running sluggish and at times is hard to start. This morning it took a couple minutes of stumbling to get it going. When it did get going, it felt like it was at half power. Then it just cuts off completely. I coast into a parking spot and have to park like a dick (two spaces).

Another symptom is that it takes a good second or two to shut off after I switch the ignition off.

It's a 2.8 TGV with about 2k miles on it.

Tow truck is on the way. Unfortunately we just sold our house and are waiting to move into our new one so no access to garage or tools:mad:

...thoughts? IP?

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
First thing that comes to mind........ Check the connection of the wire at the fuel stop solenoid on the IP or perhaps the solinoid itself may be your issue.

DefendersNW

Engine doesn't catch or doesn't turn over?

Follow the systems path for the things needed to make the engine work and one or more are the culprit:
Ignition - failing ignition switch
Injection - fuel flow issues, vacuum leaks, dirty/wet fuel, timing, tank breather
Electrical - power to solenoid, solenoid operational, factory alarm system
Air - clogged intake, oil leak past cyclonic breather, oil past turbo bearings
Compression - head, engine, etc...

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
@ only 2k would start @ filter flow or air leak on suction side issue. They dont run well on compressed air.

Rivet

Founding Member
Ok, well...didn't turn out so well and had it towed to Olivers Automotive, a local RV mechanic.

I did get it to restart and then once it shifted into 3rd, it bogged down and shut off again and wouldn't start. This was at a busy intersection. Police showed up and I eventually got it to start again by cracking an injector. Prior to that I cracked the bleeder screw on top of the filter housing and turned it over a few times...fuel came out.

I recently started driving this and noticed that when it did run, I could barely get up to 65 and maybe 50 up a slight highway incline. The 2.8 should have more balls than that. Granted I have an ZF auto, but I also have a 1:22 TC.

Stumped...I hope Olivers can find the culprit. Maybe like Uncle Douglas said..an air leak suction side.

I did the click test at the fuel stop solenoid and it clicked as it should. Again, I was limited to tools but

Rivet

Founding Member
Engine doesn't catch or doesn't turn over?

Follow the systems path for the things needed to make the engine work and one or more are the culprit:
Ignition - failing ignition switch
Injection - fuel flow issues, vacuum leaks, dirty/wet fuel, timing, tank breather
Electrical - power to solenoid, solenoid operational, factory alarm system
Air - clogged intake, oil leak past cyclonic breather, oil past turbo bearings
Compression - head, engine, etc...

Turns over fine...won't catch. When it eventually does, it stumbles to life but it takes a long time.

Air filter was good, was getting fuel at good enough pressure at the injector to spray the inside of the raised hood.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
A friends truck started having similar issues. It was a poor sealing fuel filter. Use a paper towel corner on the filter lip and see if it becomes wet. If so it’s a cheap fix.

Rivet

Founding Member
A friends truck started having similar issues. It was a poor sealing fuel filter. Use a paper towel corner on the filter lip and see if it becomes wet. If so it?s a cheap fix.

Man I hope it?s something small like that. It?s a kick in the pants to finally get it on the road only to hold up traffic and get gawked by Jeeps lol

DefendersNW

Turns over fine...won't catch. When it eventually does, it stumbles to life but it takes a long time.

Air filter was good, was getting fuel at good enough pressure at the injector to spray the inside of the raised hood.

Sounds like fuel issues - lift pump failure is possible, or if no obvious fuel leaks, the vacuum side of the line is probably picking up air,. Alternately the timing has moved and the fuel is not being delivered when needed.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Sounds like fuel issues - lift pump failure is possible, or if no obvious fuel leaks, the vacuum side of the line is probably picking up air,. Alternately the timing has moved and the fuel is not being delivered when needed.

Agree-fuel starvation comes to mind.

Rivet

Founding Member
Engine is not setting fuel.
Did you install a sedimenter and 12V fuel pump?

No. However, if the shop can't crack the code I'll see if they can install both. It's been a dog to drive and I'd like to drive it at it's full potential. Where did you tap into 12v for the pump?

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
No. However, if the shop can't crack the code I'll see if they can install both. It's been a dog to drive and I'd like to drive it at it's full potential. Where did you tap into 12v for the pump?

We have sedimenters if you need one.
For the 12V fuel pump, we use a relay energized by the IG SW (+).

Red90

A good way to go if doing and electric pump and sedimenter is the Facet Duralift pump. Designed specifically to be a lift pump and sedimenter in one. Very durable. Can safely run dry.

Rivet

Founding Member
Not sure if this is related, but I did notice my VDO tach gauge dropping to zero momentarily when I go over 2200 rpms.

Rivet

Founding Member
A good way to go if doing and electric pump and sedimenter is the Facet Duralift pump. Designed specifically to be a lift pump and sedimenter in one. Very durable. Can safely run dry.

Thanks Red...will look into that one. Do you mount it to the rear chassis or towards the front of the truck?

Rivet

Founding Member
Well I had my local rover shop (Oliver's Automotive) in Lewisville, TX work on my 110 while I moved house. They eventually got it running, but had to clean the lines, replace some pinched lines and clean the injectors. They cut open the fuel filter and showed it to me. It was lined with brown, rust-like material. After all of that it ran superb. Then I ordered the Duralift pump and they installed that as well. This is a very stout pump and looks like it should last for years. I picked up my 110 today and drove it home which was about 30 miles. I was able to get up to 75 no problem on the flat highway. Granted this is with an auto zapping some of the power. I was impressed.

I get home and take a look at the new pump and see the same material layered at the bottom of the filter. Now they did ask me if I thought the tank was clean and I assured them I put that tank in brand new myself albeit it did sit in storage for 3 years. So now I'm guessing I have to drop the tank (which is full right now) and clean it out somehow. On the upside, I'm glad I know that this has been my problem all along. Thanks for the tip on the Facet pump! Any tips on cleaning this out is appreciated. Or perhaps I should source a new one. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6290.jpg
    IMG_6290.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_6375.jpg
    IMG_6375.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited: