Tire Chains

mgreenspan

Founding Member
Any recommendations for a road use only set and for a light off road use? The thread on dweb wasn't too informative and didn't leave me with much except super overkill that Garrett suggested.

Kevin88RRC

I have a set of chains but I do not know what size tire they fit... does anyone know or have a link how to measure chains to determine tire size???
Here's one pic to show the kind but I have more to show length & width.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 230

4wdtravel

At what tipping point do you guys put your chains on?

Tough to quantify. If I feel like I'm beating on the truck to make forward progress, or if I've winched like 3 times in 15 minutes its definitely time to chain up.

Or, realistically if there is more than about 18" of snow it's a lot easier to put them on preventatively.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I'm only considering them because California has signs that they put up saying chains required on several roads near where I live. I've got this with the mountain snowflake symbol so my understanding is I'm OK without but is an extra measure to take.

Z.G

I sold the set I had to Clay in VA IIRC. They were the best chains I've used/seen used. Super heavy duty, and never came off. Got them from a local truck place

The_Vermonster

I'm only considering them because California has signs that they put up saying chains required on several roads near where I live. I've got this with the mountain snowflake symbol so my understanding is I'm OK without but is an extra measure to take.

It's always good to have a set in the car. You'd hate to get that one cop that is having a bad day and wants to make everyone else miserable. You might be able to get away with lightweight cables but I'm not sure what the law says. 99% of the time, a responsible driver with good winter tires will be fine. It's the 1% of the time that really sucks.