200TDI Oil Cooler Line: Thread Pitch

BenLittle

Callsign: KE7BEN
Looking for the 'course' thread pitch for a 200tdi oil cooler line - does anyone know what this is?

Ultimately looking for a female to male adapter for my oil pump housing.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
1/2bsp I believe

If you're going to make stainless oil cooler lines or something special like that. You need to understand that the oil cooler line actually seals on the end of the oil cooler hose the metallic Dome part. It doesn't actually seal via the threads.

So in short you can run an adapter to an/npt but you will probably have to run a Crush Washer and make sure that the housing is flat enough for it to seal.

I was going to do the same exact project and found that brand new lines from Land Rover direct were considerably cheaper than making my own stainless lines due to the cost of the bsp to to aN adapter

Pegasus auto racing carries the bsp adapters

Red90

You need to look and measure yourself. There are two different oil filter housings and I understand one is imperial and the other metric.

AdamSanta85

I was going to do the same exact project and found that brand new lines from Land Rover direct were considerably cheaper than making my own stainless lines due to the cost of the bsp to to aN adapter

Same here. It ended just being easier/cheaper to buy new OEM lines.

BenLittle

Thanks guys.

So I have two oil pump housings:

O-ring style (fine thread)
Cone style (course thread)

I have two new Defender style oil cooler lines with cone/ course threads. The radiator side is fine - problem is the pump side. The oil line has a 'male' end. The oil pump has a 'male' cone style adapter. Male to male = no Bueno.

If I remove the adapter, the oil line screws in to the pump just fine, but the pump housing does not have a 'cone' seat which is why I'm looking for a male to female adapter (with cone seat on female side).

Red90

I think you are confusing your parts... There are three hoses depending on VIN...

The earliest one has female threads that screw onto an adapter. The adapter screws into the oil filter housing.

NTC2927/8
ntc2927.jpg

Then come ESR71 and later ESR280/1. Both of these screw DIRECTLY into the filter housing.
Custom940.jpg

Red90

Sounds like you have the early filter housing, so you need the early hose and the adapter, NRC8618 with sealing washer ETC7398.
NRC8618-OIL-COOLER-PIPE-COUPLING-ADAPTER.jpg

This is all clear in the parts catalog.

luckyjoe

Callsign: KD2PXL
Anyone have old cooler lines (preferably metric) that they plan to scrap?

I have a 2.5td spin-in filter housing I plan to fit to my 109's 2.25p, and I'd also like to make lines to adapt to the Series military oil cooler. The Series oil cooler is fed from a puck between the Series filter housing and block so I need to build unique lines. The filter housing currently has blanking plugs in the cooler line ports and no thermal valve.

BenLittle

Thanks. I have ESR280/81 which have a male 'cone' at the filter housing end - so the adapter you posted doesn't work (I do have a couple kicking around though).

So at filter housing - one port has a cone seat (side) - the other does not (top). I'm familiar with the seating and wasn't comfortable just fitting the hose into the housing without the proper cone seat. Maybe I have some weirdo filter housing?

So as you described, they both screw DIRECTLY into the housing - great - is this just a crush or dowty washer seal? I guess it must be...

I think you are confusing your parts... There are three hoses depending on VIN...

The earliest one has female threads that screw onto an adapter. The adapter screws into the oil filter housing.

NTC2927/8
ntc2927.jpg

Then come ESR71 and later ESR280/1. Both of these screw DIRECTLY into the filter housing.
Custom940.jpg

Red90

ESR280/81 uses a conical seat inside the filter housing. You need a later filter housing to fit those hoses. You have an early filter housing, which needs the adapters, washers and early hoses.

BenLittle

ESR280/81 uses a conical seat inside the filter housing. You need a later filter housing to fit those hoses. You have an early filter housing, which needs the adapters, washers and early hoses.

Thanks - this is helpful.

Incidentally, I also have a 'o-ring' style housing. Seems like the more simple/ cheaper route would be to order new pipes and get the o-ring adapters for the radiator.