1984 Camel Trophy 110 LHD

belgian

1984 Camel Trophy 110 LHD

Time to move on after owning this CT 110 for 7 years...

This is a 100% authentic Camel Trophy 110. An actual race vehicle (not support). This 110 was driven during the 1984 Brazil event by one of the German teams (Volker Lapp and Dr. Ulrich Schum). Volker Lapp owns an expedition service company (trailers etc.) so he was very easy to track down. He helped to verify the history and authenticity of this vehicle. With his pictures from the event, we were able to verify and trace back every dent on this vehicle.

The authenticity of this vehicle is also backed up by a British Heritage certificate. Which states that the vehicle was returned to Lode Lane Factory, and dispatched to R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Brazil.

Some of the Camel Trophy modifications for that specific year:
- As the heritage certificate shows, the vehicle rolled of the line with a 2.25 diesel. At Lode Lane Factory, they were upgraded with a 2.5 NA
- Dual fuel tank set up under passenger seat
- The obvious roof rack and CT brush guard
- Warn 8274 winch
- Battery Cut of switch
- No roll cages were used prior to the 1985 event. I believe it was the Belgians who rolled a car during the 1984 event, and from that moment on, roll cages were introduced for future events. Therefore, this 110 does not have a roll cage. Which is authentic to its year.

As to this specific vehicle:

The good:
- 100% authentic. Even all the stickers are original to the event. Which you can tell by how they faded.
- Mileage, the vehicle shows less than 90,000 km.
- The dents, this might seem weird, but I think it's great that all the dents were able to be traced back to the event, and were never fixed.
- Winch is fully operational with new solenoids. Although I definitely wouldn't trust the original winch cable again.
- Since it was a German team vehicle, it's LHD
- Both spare tires still have the original XCL (which I think is neat from an authenticity aspect)
- Imported by Doug Crowther

The bad:
- As most Land Rovers of that age, there is a significant amount of rust, I tried to document it as good as possible in the pictures. Door bottoms/ driver and passenger foot wells are shot. One of the outriggers on the chassis has been replaced, which was accompanied by a patch on the chassis. And there is a hole in the battery box.
- After the event, someone installed a heater. I removed it, and covered the hole with an aluminum plate.
- Driver seat cushion was shot. Replacement does not match the original interior 100%
- No headliner

Asking price: $65,000

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HTDyAOCzxAttUb673

If interested, I will provide you with an email introduction to Volker, it's been a while since I talked to him. But he was very happy to see current pictures of the car he once raced in Brazil.

Attachments

• CT0.jpg
    CT0.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 399
  • CT2.jpg
    CT2.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 325
  • CT3.jpg
    CT3.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 312
  • CT4.jpg
    CT4.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 333
  • CT7.jpg
    CT7.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 348
  • CT13.jpg
    CT13.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 301
  • InkedIMG_0431_LI_.jpg
    InkedIMG_0431_LI_.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 282

LazyRabbit

Nice!

Why is the safety inspection from 2014? Will it not pass safety (besides the light guards)?

belgian

Thank you for the positive comments.

A long story why the inspection isn’t up to date:
With the roof rack, the 110 does not fit in my garage. Therefore it is garaged 4 hours away from me at my parents. Because the car is 4 hours away, I only get to drive it when I visit family on the weekend. With the very limited mileage it sees (only in the neighborhood to get the oil flowing), I never thought it was worth sacrificing family time to stand in line for an inspection.

This is obviously the main reason I’m selling. No room, no use. If I keep it, I’m getting classic plates, so I don’t have to bother with this anymore (do notice that the registration stickers are up to date).

I’ll obviously get an updated inspection done if a buyer requests so. Inspections in Virginia are pretty easy. But you are right, they have complained in the past about the light guards, and the lights on the roof rack (I think Virginia only allows 4 uncovered “driving” lights). All depends where you go though, and what kind of mood the inspector is in.

1of40

Cool piece of history. Have you looked into selling it in Europe? I imagine it would do well in DE. Hopefully you can sell to someone that isn't interested in restoring it. That's always a real shame IMO.

belgian

I added a picture which is a scan from the drivers photo album.
This was one of the methods used to determine the originality of the vehicle above.

Attachments

• After CT (Volker).jpg
    After CT (Volker).jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 292

KGH

Congrats to you on sale, and to me for not putting my 110 Puma on the block for your truck!