94 RR CV joint

My daughter found why there is no drive to the front axle on her RR - the starboard CV joint came out in pieces.

Any suggestion on which CV joint to use as a replacement? The stock one or something else? This is going to be used on easy to moderate trails. at the most, at least for the foreseeable future.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Classics usually break a cv because the viscous coupling fails and locks. Did the truck still move ?

The transfer case was replaced with the manual locking LT230 by the PO. Perhaps because the BW was blown? Anyway, it would just spin the front driveshaft unless the t-case was locked, so we started pulling the front axle apart and found the ball cages in little pieces in the bottom of the swivel housing. There was not much lubricant in there, either.

Red90

Just replace it with stock if you are only doing light wheeling. Change all the seals and make sure it has oil in the swivel in the future.

We got this for free from the family of the PO, and we are trying to bring it back to life. It hasn't been off our property since we got it. We figured it is a good vehicle for a 16-year-old to learn how to wrench.

signalMTB

RoversNorth has all the parts you need...check your axle stamp ID on the axle itself, they'll need that to source the proper ones.

Jeff B

Classics usually break a cv because the viscous coupling fails and locks. Did the truck still move ?

Uncle Doug asks a good question.

Did the truck still move?

The answer will help determine what direction you need to go.

Will Tillery is breaking several trucks right now and likely has the parts you need at used prices.

signalMTB

I just ordered a new set from RN ... if you buy used, be sure you know what you're getting. My truck has only 117k miles driven on the straight flat roads OK and FL and they're already out. CV kit, new calipers, new SS lines, and pads for both fronts for $650

signalMTB

installed and no more clicky poppy...whew. All new joints, bearings, brakes, calipers, rotors, pads, lines, new Federal MT tires...Pulled the slight tint off the windows, worked on the door lock but to no avail. Flushed all the fluids, new coolant, oil, dropped the tranny pan and changed the filter, new brake fluid, diff fluids. Sold my 911 so the RRC gets its spot back in the garage, finally able to spend some time on the truck recently.