Block heater recomendations

Leadvagas

Looking for any recomendations for a block heater for a 300tdi. I don't run it much in the winter but I do need to move it around on occation.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Temro (Zerostart) part number 3100087

Should fit in the front freeze plug. You may need to slightly bend the element so it doesn't touch cylinder jacket from the inside of the block

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
If you really want to be thorough. I also have a Moroso stick on oil pan heater. With both energized for 20 to 30 minutes prior truck starts like it's 80 degrees outside.

aeo

I've used the zerostart for years on the 300tdi parked outside. It makes a difference in cold starts. Just remember to unplug it before you pull out of the driveway.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
When I had a 300 Tdi in Virginia I would sometimes use one of those cheap magnetic ones that when on the oil pan. I don't know if it made a huge difference, but I think it helped with the cranking speed. I would always route the extension cord over the driver's mirror so I wouldn't forget to unplug it in the morning (I'm not a morning person).

4RF RDS

I used the zerostart block heater and a zerostart 1 litre tank heater with a circulation pump. All plug in on a timer... It was my cheapo version of a Wabasto... as my daily it lived outside and below minus 20C it started fine and was warm right way.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
What really is the difference between the type that goes into the side of the block, versus the type that you attach (magnets) to the oil pan? Which is better, and which have you used to effect?

It seems like the type that goes in the plug is heating the block itself, while the oil pan type might get a bit of the block warm, but it is really just heating the oil.

Getting the oil warm seems a good idea for a cold start, but I'm also really interested in just getting my water temps up so I have normal running temps while driving to work and back in cold weather.

Yesterday, it was 35 in the garage, and the truck hadn't run for over 24 hours. It has no glow plugs, but I know it will start after sitting out in temps as low as 28 degrees. (This is, obviously, not ideal, and puts a big strain on the starter and battery. Glow plug circuit is something I'm working on getting done.) So I took a chance and put a propane heater under the front of the block where I didn't have to worry about it catching fire! and timed it for 30 minutes. The inside of the engine bay got above 70 degrees, and the engine started almost instantly. This is a stupid way to do it, unless it really does get cold, and I have the time to sit there and watch it for half an hour.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I found a really good battery would start my diesel in 32 F no problem. I'd go freeze plug block heater but also a coolant heater like a webasto thermo top c as you get instant heat also. Starting and driving comfortably are two different things.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Starting and driving comfortably are two different things.

Right. I have not had 'trouble' starting, only that it takes a few cranks, maybe 3-4 seconds (versus less than 1 second in normal temps) once the temps get down to 35 or lower. Again, no glow plugs though.

I'm hoping a "warm" start will also allow me to reach running temps earlier.

uc4me

I've been using the Kat's 300watt oil pan magnet heater for my 2.5na and it works pretty well.

$49 on sale Amazon. Kat's Handi-Heat.jpg