4.2 RRC No-Go

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
So the RRC has been sitting in the driveway since being towed home two weeks ago. It's too hot to be cutting down trees, and the Defender is waiting for parts, so...

I am not getting any spark at a plug when tested. I'm assuming this is pointing to a bad coil. But I am also going to replace the leads and plugs. This needs to be done badly, even if that turns out not to be the problem.

If that doesn't work, I'll also replace the rotor cap and arm. That's about where my ideas on what to do will run out.

Now, I may be missing something, but I can't find spark plug wire sets for the 4.2. I thought they were all the same for the V8 dizzy equipped engines, but almost every place I look lists the 3.9 and the 4.0, but not 4.2. Just the fact that they list the other two, but specifically leave out the LWB engine has me pausing before clicking the buy button.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
OK, problem one solved.

I'll order and see if this solves the issue with the engine not running. Thanks.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
The ignition module started failing a couple months ago, it acted differently than this. It would let engine die when I came to an idle while transitioning from a cold to warm engine. I bought a used module and put a heat shield around it and it cleared up that issue. If this is the ignition module, it is acting completely different than the last time it went out. But I do have this on my list of possible culprits.

The wires and spark plugs are long overdue one way or another. Inspecting them is visibly damaging them. I bought this vehicle for $1000, and have not done anything to it. It has 313,000 miles on it.

DiscoDavis

On my 3.9 there were a few times where if you stalled it, it would have zero spark, had to fiddle with the ignition wires specifically the one going from coil to distributor, massage the connections, wiggle the contact points. Then it would fire up again. I tried cleaning all the contacts and it sort of went away for the last 6 months (fingers crossed).

Pretty good anti theft system though.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
LOL, I just went out to pull the wires..... four of them basically disintegrated.

So, one way or another, that needs to be done. New coil on the way as well, since I could not register a spark from it.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Do a contiiuity test of the fizzy to coil wire.
Sounds so familiar. All crank and no Fire. Wipe inside of cap to remove any trace of carbon etc. check your CPS-mine had a bad connection in that I repaired. Got a fresh one fro rockauto as well. If you go new, make sure you get the one with the correct plug for your engine. There are round plug and oval plugs.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Replaced the coil.
Replaced the wires.
Replaced the spark plugs.
Replaced the ignition module.

No start. Seems to have no spark.

Jeff B

Dude-- I feel your pain.

My always reliable Hunter(14CUX) has been dead for weeks.
All crank-no fire.

I've got to set some time aside to throw spare parts at it soon...

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
There is a standard blade type male end electrical terminal sitting just behind the ignition amp module, between the module and the dizzy -- is there supposed to be a connection there? I don't remember seeing it before, and I can't see any loose wires in the area.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Got it running!

I can’t say for sure what the issue was other than the whole ignition system was in bad shape. I think the 50 miles off road in 100 degree heat basically just pushed it all over the edge.

I did not replace the dizzy, but I did scuff the contacts in the cap and cleaned it up. The new wires and plugs and module and coil were all needed.

One way or another, it’s running. I’ll test drive it when I get the time, I just really needed to get it out of the garage on it’s own power.