200tdi injection pump tuning

burlsube

Ok. I'll double check in the morning.

By full open are you meaning the rod is maxed out and no longer moving?

Also, would a waste gate actuator failing in the manner manifest it self with high EGTs?

Red90

You do understand that there is no wastegate?

25 is not high. That is what these turbos run at.

burlsube

You do understand that there is no wastegate?

25 is not high. That is what these turbos run at.

Thanks Red. I was aware it wasn't a wastegate, but I didn't know how else to refer to it. Is actuator or diaphragm a more accurate descriptor?

Assuming there is no boost leak, which from my testing there isn't and the turbo is functioning properly what is my next move? Verify the timing is correct? If that checks out I guess I just need to reduce the main fueling a tad?

Thanks again for hanging in while I bumble my way through this.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
If the anti tamper collar is still on the max fuel screw and you are making lots of boost
but are seeing high temps this is a tuning issue. From afar, my money is on the timing being retarded.

Timing doesnt "check out". It is adjustable by design as timing belts have variances.

burlsube

Thanks Doug. I'll verify the timing this weekend.

In terms of turning the engine to lock in the fly wheel pin what method do people recommend? I've read a breaker bar on the crank bolt or 5th gear and rotate the tires. After that the process seems straightforward.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Pretty sure this isnt a check out/verify timing scenario.

We need to dispell the myth or belief that because the flywheel pin locks and the IP pump pin slides in that timing is correct.
That is a starting point.
These pins are simply meant to lock components so they do not move when a belt is changed.

Yours is an adjust timing scenario. If you read up on the subject on any one of the dozens of sites that explaining how to adjust the bosch ve you will learn that advancing timing beyond the stock LR reccomended setting will result in better acceleration, and lower egt temps, where additional boost and fueling are available.