LR# rear bumper

Roverman2010

Gotta ask this as I know there are a few LR3-4 owners here, is the bolt-on swing away spare carrier worth it? Or go complete rear bumper item?

Not had to load the rear yet to get to the spare workings but know a few that has.

Need to make the old girl look like a Land Rover should.

Need an up date on the HD coil spring set up.

rlynch356

8433aa6685b81c2b45fced8c7266169c.jpg

I have the tactical Rovers one, looks good and is stout, plus should last when climbing seen a few stock ones get ripped off

DiscoDavis

Perhaps get yourself a used camel rear bumper. Capacity to 8800 lbs I believe.

What are you talking about...

1) Camel never used that vehicle
2) "Camel rear bumper" was a special vehicles item not fitted to any other vehicle but a Tdi Discovery 1, and all that really meant was the sheet metal was either plate reinforced in sections or the standard bumper was fitted but in thicker plate, this was really only to accommodate the tow assembly.
3) Camel rear capacity of its single rear tow point is 5 ton (5.5 ton), bumper itself was not rated for anything.
4) Discovery 3 has an integrated eyelet for towing in the bumper that is about as good as anything else. Zero point to discuss ratings for bumper when even aftermarket ones just fit over existing socket.

To thread question:

Standard rear bumper on a discovery 3 is fine, you may rip the plastic off on a drop. The tactical rovers item is quite good, very thick plate steel. Its swingout is nice and greasable. Other swingout designs exist, and they drill into and weld or bolt to the existing steel bumper that is just under the plastic. Have seen several cars with TR fitted take hits coming off a shelf or backing into things.

Discovery 3 is redonk strong anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fufTUpi3FU