If you were to sell your truck...

galen216

I put out a forum wanted ad for my newest Series and found a great deal on exactly what I was looking for. The seller was not advertising his truck for sale. In fact I had several offers and leads on trucks that weren't posted for sale anywhere.

You may want to scour the wanted ads on various forums. Then you can avoid the sale post and deal with sale privately.

AdamSanta85

I put out a forum wanted ad for my newest Series and found a great deal on exactly what I was looking for. The seller was not advertising his truck for sale. In fact I had several offers and leads on trucks that weren't posted for sale anywhere.

You may want to scour the wanted ads on various forums. Then you can avoid the sale post and deal with sale privately.

Good idea. I actually found my STI like that a few years ago as well.

donb

I feel this is a good comp for my truck. My truck isn't Arles but other than that it has way less miles (my truck only has 85k on it) and thousands more in parts, time and effort into it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-land-rover-ninety-4/

IMO, you 90 looks a lot better than that one. Do you have rear seats?

Being in LI maybe park it at the local train station with a For Sale sign?

If you do sell it I agree with the 911 move (something I still have to do) and agree with RLynch on no boat!

Better yet - I'd go diesel GM Canyon/Colorado lightly modified, roof rack for a paddle boat and a trailer with a 911 on it. You'll cover all your wants.

AdamSanta85

IMO, you 90 looks a lot better than that one. Do you have rear seats?

OEM NAS roll bar padding, seat belts, and stainless rubber mat retain strip have been added since in the rear .. ill post an recent mod list and good photos with the truck clean in the near future.

1142.jpg

Being in LI maybe park it at the local train station with a For Sale sign?

Only if I want my window smashed out. The Xterra is my station car. Parking it on main street in Southampton or East Hampton with a sign isn't a bad idea though.

I dunno I was looking at the truck last night in my driveway making a list of mods and I am having second thoughts. These trucks are too cool. We'll see... If I get an offer I can't refuse...

1of40

I think BaT would be a very good way to go assuming they don’t balk at the reserve you’d want to set. Given you personally built the truck and know it so well I think that is favorable in a BaT auction scenario.

FlyersFan76

Only if I want my window smashed out. The Xterra is my station car. Parking it on main street in Southampton or East Hampton with a sign isn't a bad idea though.

I dunno I was looking at the truck last night in my driveway making a list of mods and I am having second thoughts. These trucks are too cool. We'll see... If I get an offer I can't refuse...

I don't like there but have driven to Wantagh and seen their trainstations and can concur. Very easy to smash and grab and never find out who did it. Drove to Southampton once and that is probably a better bet.

Everything has its price.

rovercolorado

It's the other way around. BAT sets the reserve, and the seller can balk or accept it.

Correct sir.
I sold my truck on the popular LR forums in a few days. I considered BAT but mine was too rough for that site. Yours is a GREAT truck and would hold up the "extra" eyes on that site. BAT wants tons of pictures and will review and change the text of the listing as they want.
I also wasted my time on CL but after dealing with that again I can safely say it isn't worth it!
Forums 100%

Last edited:

donb

OEM NAS roll bar padding, seat belts, and stainless rubber mat retain strip have been added since in the rear .. ill post an recent mod list and good photos with the truck clean in the near future.

I figured with the rear seating, being on LI and it being summer soon your 90 just might find a home nearby for someone that commutes to the city.

With how clean it is and the documentation BAT might be a good avenue.

I hope you keep it tho - just plan an engine swap and do some events for motivation :D

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I don't know what your job is, but unless you plan on being so wealthy the next time you find "time" in your life to "get back into a 90" you will regret this decision for the rest of your life. Even after you've recreated the same truck or your same truck part II.

Short of you needing to spend the money on something else, and I mean really needing the money, not "could spend the money on other stuff" needing, or not having the space to store it for some form of once weekly use, you won't come out on top and you will have to waste more time re-doing everything you did with this one.

AdamSanta85

I don't know what your job is, but unless you plan on being so wealthy the next time you find "time" in your life to "get back into a 90" you will regret this decision for the rest of your life. Even after you've recreated the same truck or your same truck part II.

Short of you needing to spend the money on something else, and I mean really needing the money, not "could spend the money on other stuff" needing, or not having the space to store it for some form of once weekly use, you won't come out on top and you will have to waste more time re-doing everything you did with this one.

My primary indecision isn't about money.

My fantasy of getting the Defender was going on adventures with my wife and dog. Trips up to Acadia in Maine, Rouche Creek in PA, the White Mountains in NH, Vermont, out West, down to the Mid-Atlantic where all the Rover meets seem to take place, an unrealistic fantasy of Baja Mexico or down to Costa Rica.

Where I live, Long Island, in a sea of suburban sprawl and strip malls, the only remotely cool thing to do with the Defender is take it on the beach. Even that is getting more restrictive by the year as this place gets more and more crowded. Subaru Outback's do just fine on the beach around here, no need for a Land Rover Defender. So separating me and my adventure destinations is HOURS of US interstate highway travel AND New York City where the majority of traffic is people doing 80mph+ and driving like animals. I LOVE the Defender around town. I drive it often (almost daily) and it always puts a smile on my face. However, it is the worst interstate vehicle I have ever been in. I've done everything possible short of an LS engine swap to make the Defender better on the highway, it is anemic. Is it possible to do 10hr highway runs with it? Sure I guess, but it won't be comfortable or enjoyable. Once I get off the interstate it is great. So I am trapped on an island with a $50k+ adventure truck that can't really get to adventures, and now that I have so much money into it I am a bit intimidated to actually wheel it. So how do I solve that?

LR3. 1/5 of the price. Better on the highway. Likely as good if not better off road than the Defender. About half as cool, but at least still a Rover and looks the part. I could actually make it to the Mid-Atlantic meets. Driving it out to Moab really isn't that crazy of an idea, Acadia and up the north east without breaking a sweat.

So sure putting a few bucks back in my pocket would be nice, but really it is because I feel like I can't use my Defender how I thought I could use it where as I believe I could actually make use of an LR3 (and eventually a 911 and boat (I live 5 min to the bay))

----------------------

What I am thinking now is keep my Defender, and find a nice LR3. Sell my daily Xterra, and get the LR3 into good driving shape, take it on a road trip etc to see how I like it. Than I can make a decision on the Defender.

Jeff B

Solution: Move. LI sounds misrable. Get out of that racket.

Ha! A good buddy of mine(Frank P.; who many know but he's not a web guy) is in Seaford LI and he's been coming to Rover events since the early 2000's. I met him in 2003/4 I guess at the MAR.
He trailers his D90 to one or two events every year.

I'd hang on to your 90 a little while and think about it...

Frank P at Rausch Creek PA.

Attachments

• 7FC899B5-65D3-4A99-8ED6-7B591805FA6C.jpg
    7FC899B5-65D3-4A99-8ED6-7B591805FA6C.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 184

rlynch356

If you want to go to events and use the truck, i'd just find a way to and not worry about it, as long as you are having fun its all good. The LR3 makes a good tow truck (ask Jason at SDO) and you can just rent a uhaul trailer when needed. Oh and there are a bunch of events up your way (3 in vermont alone) and you have a bunch of OR parks up there too, and don't just stick to rover events the other ones are fun too (i'm leading trails at a primarily jeep event this weekend for example). what we did in raleigh was create a local facebook group and meet once a month for beers and hit the trails, its a loose group so nothing formal.

But at the end of the day it's your time and money...

When you sell it, i have a built LR3 for sale, and if you want you can buy my boat too
LOL :)

AdamSanta85

Oh and there are a bunch of events up your way (3 in vermont alone) and you have a bunch of OR parks up there too

Where I live and where Jason lives is very different. Via 200TDI Defender to VT I am looking at at least 6 hours on the interstate to get to anywhere to wheel the truck. Rouch Creek in PA would be the closest and that is 3.5+ hours depending on traffic.

I am not into the trailer thing, especially with a truck that isn't a "trail rig". I did it with my "race car" to Englishtown and is why I sold it. It's over $100 in just tolls getting on and off the island with a trailer before factoring in fuel etc. Shelling out hundreds in fuel and tolls every time I want to go somewhere fun isn't my idea of adventure, it spoils it. I just want to fill the tank, throw my board on the roof, pack the cooler and go.

LR Max

I just trailered my 109 a few weeks ago with my LR3 with the V8. It works fairly well. I limited my speed to ~65 mph and it just went along easily. A 1 ton diesel dually does tow better, but the LR3 towed without any complaints. Stock hitch, btw. Which I really like. When its not needed, I just put it away.

For me, I can't store a trailer anywhere (well, I can store it on the street and either have the neighborhood pissed off at me or it be magically gone one morning) so I rent. Currently Uhaul has the best rates for me, but am looking at United Rental or Sunbelt for longer rents. But $99 one way, 2 days, with insurance. A decent deal.

I plan on driving my 109 as well as towing. 4 hours will be the break for me. Below that, drive. Above that, tow. Also I plan on adding a tow bar as well. Easier on a series as all I have to do is disconnect the rear driveshaft (FWH in the front) if I want to.

But I can understand your concern. I see it too. So hard to leave the city on a Friday after work...and Atlanta isn't as busy as NYC by a long shot! But by having my 109, its now my weekend car so I enjoy it that way. Also nice for when the ice storms come.

FlyersFan76

I had always wanted a Hummer since I saw one before I even knew what Defender was. They were out before the Defender hit our shores.

I ended up with a Defender but wreaked it. Got another Defender but still wanted to get a Hummer so I sold the Defender to buy it.

I am certainly glad I was able to own and use the Hummer off road for 5 years but sometimes I still wish I never sold my Defender since I was the second owner and put more miles on it than the first owner. Had I never wrecked my first Defender (original owner) I never would have sold it for anything.

I wouldn't sell it either. But that is just me. I have been to that well before.