Inspecting Trailer Bearings

aeo

So...we bought an old camper that is turning out to have some issues. Which makes me doubt the sellers reliability on other things.

I want to inspect, grease and potentially replace the bearings. I've been watching videos for a week. Since I have a knack for making a mess out of things. Is it really as easy as it looks- remove, clean, makes sure they aren't discolored or have lines, grease, reinstall? The trailer axle is a Dexter 3500#.

Thanks,
Alex

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
Best bet is to have new Hub seals on hand. And your other assumptions are correct

LR Max

Invest in a trailer buddy. It basically helps you know when there is grease in the bearings and offers a quick way to add grease. Also known as a "Wheel bearing protector". Also invest in a bearing packing tool. This will make the job easier.

But yes, easy to check. Also inspect the tires and ensure you've got good tires and a good spare. Seems like trailer tires blow out, especially on cross-USA trips.

LR Max

Don't use trailer tyres. Does UHaul? Watch the lug nuts!

lol good question. I just rented a uhaul...and didn't see what kind of tires they used. Just checked air, tread, and general condition.

But yes, seems like everyone is putting Load range E LT tires on their trailers.

rlynch356

Couple of tools, new bearings and your all good. It’s pretty easy to do.
I matched my tires and wheels to the d90.