Meridian Power Steering

belgian

I'm considering getting a RRC rebuild power steering box from Meridian (if they still rebuild the Land Rover ones).

Since I'm having issues getting a hold of them... do they still do this?
And for the ones who have one... was it worth it/ what's the price range I will be looking at?

MountainD

Technical Excellence Contributor
Rereading what I just wrote, it came across much more harsh than I wanted--didn't meant to be a dick. Just wanted to know if it really was bought recently.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Where do you get that information from? I'd love to know the back up for that. I go here: http://www.meridianautoparts.com/

The Web sites for "both" companies list the same physical address. Buyautoparts on its website says its parent company was established in 1987. So its a subsidiary. Both websites share the same hosting company.

It would be quite a coincidence if two unrelated companies set up shop selling the same product from the same building. Running a secondary website using a different name isn't that unusual.

Hope this helps.

AdamSanta85

Where do you get that information from? I'd love to know the back up for that. I go here: http://www.meridianautoparts.com/

Meridian told me it is their retail arm when I called them for a steering box a couple weeks ago. They than transferred me to BuyAutoParts. Ask them next time you call, maybe I am misunderstood.

Also from a quick google search

Founded in 1989 and based in San Diego, CA, Meridian is a provider of aftermarket and OEM replacement automotive parts, which it sells through both wholesale channels and online at www.BuyAutoParts.com. Meridian distributes a targeted set of product lines, which include replacement turbochargers, air conditioning parts, steering racks, and suspension components.

"We believe that the www.BuyAutoParts.com model of product category depth, in-stock inventory and expert live sales support is the winning formula for the on-line auto parts channel, which has significant opportunity for further penetration in the auto parts industry," said Carson Biederman, President of Digital Fuel Capital. "We look forward to supporting Meridian's expansion into other product categories and geographies through both organic growth and acquisitions."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...n-in-meridian-rack--pinion-inc-239902721.html

MountainD

I stand corrected— I always thought them a small individual care shop. Although this changes my impression of them overall, I do have to attest that over 10 years neither of my rebuilt boxes have leaked. So do they still rebuild them or do they send them out? (If you asked)

Mirrajumper

No more steering boxes for discovery model according to email
I just got. They no longer modify them or rebuild customer supplied boxes. Bummer!!

azarmadillo

The guy that used to rebuild the Rover steering boxes for Meridian was in Las Vegas, NV. Maybe you can find out who it was and get ahold of the guy to see if he can rebuild yours for you.

Tomaco1

Anyone have any info on this?

I had the original meridian on my truck for 8 years and it just started leaking.

Is it the same rebuild they use to do?

pmatusov

Callsign: AK6PM
2 out of 3 Meridian rebuilds I bought started to leak within a year.
I don't think they did anything but seal replacement; if the shafts are worn out (which is highly likely), it's a matter of time before the new seals start to leak again.

They are local to me, so it was easy to return the one that leaked pretty much right away.

Reactions: Z.G

Red90

2 out of 3 Meridian rebuilds I bought started to leak within a year.
I don't think they did anything but seal replacement; if the shafts are worn out (which is highly likely), it's a matter of time before the new seals start to leak again.

They are local to me, so it was easy to return the one that leaked pretty much right away.

Since you are there in person... Have you asked what they are doing and why they can't make them reliable?