This Noise

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
I have a 200 TDI but I think I have the same problem!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw1ib4EFPSg

I took it to a mechanic and they said the vacuum pump needed replacing. They did that and the noise went away, but she was now down on power with lots of white exhaust and told me the engine needed rebuilding for the cost of an arm and a leg. I took it home and advanced the timing which did the trick for a few days but the tapping noise came back (not a knock but a distinct tap)! Hopefully it just needs a valve adjustment.

What would cause valves to go out of alignment and need adjusting?

Just use . And wow did those guys rip you off. When they installed the pump they probably couldn't get it to line up . So they adjusted the cam at the injection pump nut to get it to go in. This adjustment caused the lack of power ...you are lucky it even started.

To add insult to injury the pump is rebuildable from above with less than $20 in parts...and you don't have to remove it

You need to do a timing adjustment with a gauge and check your valve caps as well .

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Interesting... when I first got this conversion on the road, I immediately had the loud ticking you describe -- I had thought it was my transmission getting ready to blow because I still had a small panel missing and the noise was echoing up right from the center floor -- but it turned out to be my vacuum pump. I picked up a used one from a local shop just to see. Sure enough, it went from so loud I could hardly stand it, to just a slight tick.

One of the side effects of changing the vacuum pump, and tweaking the valves (last summer) seemed to be that I lost some of that cold engine white smoke! I still have some, but it isn't a cloud, and it goes away by the time I get into 3rd or 4th gear.

An update for my truck: After adjusting the valves, I think it is running smoother, and quieter. However, I'm not sure if I'm still hearing a knock. The one in the video isn't there, or isn't there for the time being, but there might be a slight knocking when pulling up a hill that isn't the normal diesel rumble. This is where my inexperience with these engines keeps me limited. I don't know if the noises are normal or if I'm hearing something out of tune.

I'm going to let Ship's have it for a few days next week to at least drive and listen cold and warm.

I suspect there may be one valve that is coming lose prematurely, so I may check it again after I put a few hundred miles on it this weekend. I'll see about pulling the caps at that point too.

On another note, I just slapped the cover back on after the adjustment, and so far -- no leaking!