RRC warning chimes

Kevin88RRC

I'm trying to get my chimes back on my '88 RRC. They have never made a peep and I've tried a known working box. I really only want the headlight warning chime since I always drive with them on and I may have forgotten once or twice to turn them off.

Since I was working on the binnacle and had the lower dash off, I did some investigation. There is a resistor jumping the black and the purple/black wires. I do not remember one on my previous RRC. It looks homemade not factory and I know PB is the transfer neutral chime. Removed the resistor from the B but still do not get any chimes and I'm testing on two boxes. Fuse is fine. Is there anything else that controls it???

Jeff B

This is news to me!

None of my RRCs have had a headlight chime; including my 2 current ones...

Kevin88RRC

Should have four chimes:
-headlights on (key out door open)
-transfer case in neutral (ignition on)
-seatbelts
-key in door open
Maybe LR did away with the headlight chime in later models. I've only owned 1988s.

Saw an old post on another site that made reference to a relay. WSM does not list one. Is there one for the chimes?

blueboy

Hum, mine has no chimes now yet kinda remember them except for the headlights on.

Not having the seatbelt chime is great for me as when off-highwaying I usually take mine off.

CesarG

Should have four chimes:
-headlights on (key out door open)
-transfer case in neutral (ignition on)
-seatbelts
-key in door open
Maybe LR did away with the headlight chime in later models. I've only owned 1988s.

Saw an old post on another site that made reference to a relay. WSM does not list one. Is there one for the chimes?

My '87 had all of those chimes up until a few months ago. Let me know if you find a fix.

rover4x4

my Classic only dings when the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is open, it generally occurs on offroading adventures. My Defender used to ding when the lights were left on but it stopped.....

The 87 and 88 have the headlight warning chime. In 89 they rewired it so the headlights turn off, but the parking lights stay on. They will still run your battery down. The chime unit is the same part, so if you want the headlight warning chime on your 89-up RRC, splice a jumper wire from the parking light circuit, solder an appropriate size pin on the end, and stick it into the hole for pin 10 in the warning unit connector.

If the key-in warning when the door is open feature annoys you, cut the white wire with the purple stripe going to pin 9.

Now if I could just remember what kind of pins those are that go to the unit so I can get some more. The last time I did this was 20 years ago when I worked next to a well-stocked electronics shop.