Swivel chome ball bolts

On the later RRCs, there are 14 bolts that hold the chome ball to the axle tube. 2 of them are different than the others, FTC1916 vs FRC8528. Does anyone know which positions those go in? The bolts on the other side of this axle all seem the same.

We got the housing mostly bolted on, but two of the bolts won't go all the way in. It is a tedious process to remove bolts since you have to back all of them out, pull the housing out partway, then remove the bolts.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
I assume they act as dowels to center the swivel ball housings. IIRC those two bolts have a shoulder near the bolt head. You should be able to see one of the holes on the housing is bigger than the others.

Red90

Yes one bolt on each side is a fitted bolt to locate the balls at the correct angle. They can go in any hole. Make sure there is one and only one on each ball. You want a 13 mm ratcheting wrench to work on these bolts.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I never knew that. I always put them on in the order I grabbed them from the pile, or rather, the drying rag because I am obsessive about cleaning every part I put back on this truck.

Thanks. So I suppose that shoulder is what is keeping me from screwing these two screws all the way in? I suppose I will have to remove it again and see which holes are bigger.

I am just trying to put the same bolts back in that I took out one one side only. Two of them won't screw all the way in.

ezzzzzzz

There are not 14 bolts holding a swivel ball to the axle tube. There are 7 bolts per ball. These holes are not elongated (unless there has been castor correction). I've never seen a 'fitted' bolt in any axle I've disassembled and that is a lot. To ensure I wasn't going crazy I looked through the RAVE at all of the RRC front axle assemblies. Please post a photo of what you're working on so we might better assist you with your problem.

Red90

6 regular bolts, FTC3456. 1 dowel bolt FTC3454. Without a dowel bolt the castor can't be fixed to a specific spot.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 433

Red90

They are all the same. Without a dowel, there is no way for the castor to be accurately set. The regular bolts are loose in the swivel balls. The dowel bolts are snug.

Red90

The RRC manual shows FRC8528 and FTC1916. These and the ones mentioned earlier all update to the newest part numbers UYG500050 (regular bolt) and UYG500040 (dowel bolt).

Red90

Unless you know they are there, you won't notice and it is easy to mix them up. A previous owner may have done that. Check the diameter near the head and make sure both dowel bolts have not been stuck on one side.

Thanks. Red90 has it right. It is a 6 regular screws, one dowel screw. Does it matter which hole the dowel goes in? It sounds like it is just there for clocking purposes. The screws all looked identical at a passing glance, I never realized one of them was not like the others.

Red90

It does not matter what hole. If you put the dowel one in first, it will make putting the other 6 in easier.

Red90

Yes, if you tighten any of the regular bolts first, the dowel bolt can't get in at the swivel needs to rotate.

defeyago

You can see the difference between the 2 bolts in the attached picture. 6 normal bolts and 1 dowel bolt each side. Dowel goes first then the rest. Cleaned threads and bolts. Use Loctite in all of them. Torque to spec. Done

Cheers.