Spy Shot Of Defender? Dec. 1

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
It's like watching an actor that you used to kind of like, getting old, making a come back, but with too much plastic surgery.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
New Evoque released tomorrow at 2:45pm EST.

Betting it might share some mechanical bits with the "Defender". How the mighty are falling.

Red90

The fact that they are using a RRS platform makes it crap right out of the box. It really does not matter what body they chuck on it.

mgreenspan

Founding Member
I'm holding out hope. I'm confident they will ruin all potential prospects of wheeling it by having huge brakes and huge rims as the focus of aftermarket modification.

FlyersFan76

So much windshield rake in these spy shots. It?s the same thing that irks me with the Jeep JL.

Agreed but I also do not like their daytime headlights. Both the headlights and the bumper lights are on and the bumper lights are ridiculously bright for being on in the daytime. Almost blinding. And of course only the fronts are on and not the rears.

FlyersFan76

I think I am the only optimistic one around here thinking the spy truck shows promise.

I go back and forth as well. Cautiously optimistic. But it might be because I want it to be good.

Plus it would be cool to have a bumper sticker that says my other truck is a real Defender.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
By the way, 90% of the long video on the bottom of this page was shot within 45 minutes of where I'm sitting now.... do you think it's a coincidence that when the truck pulls out of the garage, it is just four blocks from, and drives directly at the location of JLRNA Research and Development labs?

https://media.rivian.com/video_galleries/r1t/

NPT90

I mean electric would be great for wheeling in a lot of ways, so much torque to gentle lift you over obstacles and with hub driven wheels you basically get portals out of the box.

That said I am sure this thing is going to have a $120K price tag, making portals and a cummins swap look pretty tempting ;)

copleymotorcars

i think you are on to something. to me, that looks like the new defender in a gussied up wrapper. strictly looking at the roofline, windshield, and fender openings, compared to the disguised shots we've seen. the interior also has JLR touches all over it. this is a conspiracy theory i can get behind.

adam

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
The price is supposedly $60-70k. Not sure I can believe that....

I don't like the headlights, but the Rivian does make me want to join the future.

copleymotorcars

what if rivian is a fake company? they have been testing the new defender in broad daylight right in front of us all this time? the front end even looks like its too big for the car, maybe meaning its just a facade over the real structure underneath.

there are some differences compared to the spy shots of the cloaked one we've already seen. what if those are the "defender sport" as they are sure to have and this is the "defender"?

makes you think!

FlyersFan76

The dash sure looks like a the screen layout of Land Rover InControl.

Out of the 300+ Rivian employees on LinkedIn I looked at about 20-20. 1 worked at Land Rover and now at Rivian in a communications roll at both. Not much there of course the could be made up. Only 2-3 ever worked at Ford and or BMW during their ownership of Land Rover.

Look at the wheels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_DC100#/media/File:Land_Rover_DC100_(front_quarter).jpg

Kind of similar

I want more information but that requires a preorder deposit. Oh well.

Attachments

• RivianDash.JPG
    RivianDash.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 158

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Tell you what. I was making the point that Rivian is just sticking it to LR by filming right there, but I know the guy who designed the touch screen interface for all the last LR4, F-Pace, and everything up to the new Evoque. This is where their design and testing centers labs are located.

Should I make inquiries?! LOL!

FlyersFan76

Tell you what. I was making the point that Rivian is just sticking it to LR by filming right there, but I know the guy who designed the touch screen interface for all the last LR4, F-Pace, and everything up to the new Evoque. This is where their design and testing centers labs are located.

Should I make inquiries?! LOL!

Quick question. Is it still running on the QNX operating system? The current one that is. I heard that the new one is proprietary to Land Rover and not sure if they are using QNX as the source code/base.