Prepared?

The Dro

Illustrious
I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl... Are these certified? If not, keep a regular FE too.

I like their compact design though.

pmatusov

Technical Excellence Contributor
Callsign: AK6PM
I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl... Are these certified? If not, keep a regular FE too.
Copy from their FAQ page:

https://elementfire.com/pages/faqs said:
IS ELEMENT CERTIFIED?

Originating in Italy, Element has been certified for sale in Europe by CE and TUV. Institutionally it has been tested and certified for use by multiple international military and police groups who have adopted it for active use.

In North America, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is responsible for the certification of fire extinguishers. UL does their testing to a standard that contains a form (physical shape) component followed by a performance component. Because Element's form does not fit inside of UL's guidelines of what a traditional fire extinguisher looks like (i.e. compressed gas cylinder with a hose and measurement gauge) it is immediately passed over for performance testing. At present UL[ is being campaigned to update its standards to recognize the different form offered by Element and allow it an opportunity to be tested and certified.

Until the standards are updated Element cannot be used to substitute extinguishers in regulated environments that require a UL (or UL endorsed) certification. Element can however be freely used as an supplement to the extinguishers used where regulation exists.

There are no restrictions in non-regulated environments (car, home, personal garage, etc.) allowing Element to be used freely.

I do carry at least one 3- or 5-lb regular fire extinguisher, two if I know I'm going to a dry grass/dry brush area.

The_Vermonster

I have a FA Tundra extinguisher that lives in the kitchen but joins us on camping trips. It isn't UL listed either, for what looks like the same reason. Sounds like First Alert is also trying to campaign to have a new set of requirements for these "unusual" extinguishers.

Given how small these are, it's worth carrying a normal extinguisher and one of these. As we've just seen; if you need one, you probably need two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

WreckITFrank

Technical Excellence Contributor
Seems like a good place to post this deal....stay safe

Ace Hardware, 2.5lb FE, $9.99 (reg $14.99). In store pickup only. Exp 10/31

First Alert Standard 2-1/2 lb. Fire Extinguisher For Household OSHA/US Coast Guard Agency Approva

• UL rated 1-A:10-B:C
  • Commercial grade metal valve and trigger
  • Easy-to-read pressure gauge
  • Metal pull pin with safety seal to deter accidental discharge
  • Bracket with strap for easy mounting
  • U.S. coast guard approved
  • Mono ammonium phosphate extinguishing agent
  • Rechargeable