If you were going to restore your Defender in the USA, who would you take it to?

defender_verde

I've got a '91 110 that I love and will likely never sell. I'm thinking of doing a full restoration on it. I do not want a pseudo G-Wagon. I'd really just want a slightly more refined, but brand new version of what I've got now. What that means is no fancy interior, no crazy modern exterior bits, no Puma dash. Really, what I want is a brand new '91 110 with a new powertrain and some other small refinements in the interior. And most importantly, I want everything to look as OEM as possible.

If you were going for a restoration, where would you go? I'm thinking ECD or Safari HP... Not going to rush into this, but I'm curious who people have had great experiences with. This is an expensive process and I want to get what I pay for.

1of40

I think you should also consider small shops. One I really like is http://www.northamericaoverland.com/ they, unlike any others I know of put their prices where their mouth is. They are perfectionist and I doubt have trucks getting lost in the shuffle of $250K projects. I always like to stay away from being the smallest fish in the pond.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
You have a 200tdi. Keep it as is. But another gimp one to restore. You'll be much happier.

I agree with this.

Buy a galvanized frame and bulkhead, buy a new take off body from the guys in Spain and get everything shipped to Safari. They have take off axles there and running gear. They can assemble a truck out of these parts that'll look brand new all you need is a donor Vin or donor frame and Powertrain

Buy the most clapped out beater and use that for small parts and the vin

New take off bodies: https://m.facebook.com/pg/New-Take-Off-Land-Rover-Defender-Parts-156391757882159/photos/

1of40

I agree with this.

Buy a galvanized frame and bulkhead, buy a new take off body from the guys in Spain and get everything shipped to Safari. They have take off axles there and running gear. They can assemble a truck out of these parts that'll look brand new all you need is a donor Vin or donor frame and Powertrain

Buy the most clapped out beater and use that for small parts and the vin

New take off bodies: https://m.facebook.com/pg/New-Take-Off-Land-Rover-Defender-Parts-156391757882159/photos/

$100K + the long wait. Then at the end of the day you might have a truck you don't want to put a scratch on.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
$100K + the long wait. Then at the end of the day you might have a truck you don't want to put a scratch on.

fair enough, but you get the jist. Take it it any reputable shop and follow these steps, doesn't have to be safari...i named them because I know that have EVERYTHING in stock.

DiscoDavis

If it works, doesn't leak too bad, has ok bulkhead, frame, doors.... keep driving it.

They like to be driven, maybe fix a few things along the way. If I do a restore in the future, it will only really be to correct major issues OR prewire some electrical components, security stuff, maybe insulate better, etc.

Enjoy what you have now :)