1992 Defender 90 200tdi

macap203

Hi all,

Just joined, hoping to get some inside info on my first defender. Have wanted one of these all my life, and finally in a position to get it done.

Found a 92 LHD 200TDI with 200,000km. It was imported from Italy. Seems to be in decent shape, current owner mentioned aftermarket AC and speakers.

What landmines do i need to look out for? What should not miss when i go to inspect it in person?

Appreciate your help,

chuckc4

Well, that question has a very long answer. Where in CT are you? I think it might be a good idea to see if there is a local member here that can look at it with you.

If it is close to Northwest CT, I would be willing to to look at it with you.

TravelinLight

Frame Rust
Bulkhead Rust (Footwells)
How are the nuts and Bolts on the Vehicle? (That will tell you how the other items may be)
Door Frame Rust (Under the Cards)
Title (Import Paperwork) (Can you legally title in your state)
How do the fluids look (Brake, Power Steering, Oil, Anti Freeze? Tells you something about Care)

Can you pull up the carpets? What do they look like underneath?

Then the driving test as far as how it handles.

macap203

The vehicle is in old Greenwich CT. I am in the Danbury area. Anyone wanna take a ride this weekend? I?ll buy coffee and breakfast/lunch

LR Max

If you are not familiar with rovers (and I'll assume you aren't), find a local rover shop to perform a pre-purchase inspection. It'll be $75-300 USD for such inspection, depending on shop and other considerations.

But it will be worth it to understand what you are getting into. This is going to be the quickest and easiest way to get a full understanding of the situation.

macap203

That sounds like a good idea. Any recco's on one in the southwestern CT region? Would a LandRover dealer look at it, or an i better off with a small shop?