GM 292 Straight 6 - Yet another conversion

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
I am curious about overall cost for conversion from the 300Tdi, and I'm curious about some real world MPG. This is my daily driver that I rely on, so MPG is a thing.

So I have some preliminary MPG figures.
Highway 55 to 65 MPH: 16 - 18 MPG
Around town driving it with lots of throttle and stopping/stomping it on a regular basis= 9 - 12 MPG.
Honestly I think the around town would go up a few points if the driver were easy on the petal, but I am not easy on the petal.
It's too much fun to give it throttle.

Last edited:

85RED110

Those sound like some good numbers. What are your RPM's at 55 and 65?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Napalm00

20 mpg is really surprising out of an engine architecture this old and this large displacement.

I guess the EfI probably helps

RDavisinVA

At those speeds you're at about 2,400 to 2,800 RPM and you are barely touching the petal.
At 70- 80 where I like to drive, the mileage is less, about 15 or less.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
What is overall driveline again? 1.2? what size tires?

I barely get past 20mpg with the 300Tdi no matter what type of driving. My average for 8600 miles of tracking is 19.4, best ever is 22.0. And with 235 tires I can hit 70mph, but really can't expect to go over that. I can provide the data for 39 logged fueling stops.

I don't think I've talked to anyone with an LS conversion who has honestly got above 20, maybe more like 18 on highway.

Napalm00

Can't use your engine as a benchmark unfortunately. If you can't break 20mpg and you have e no power something is wrong

85RED110

Stock photo. Description says 6-292, which came up for the generic search of a 1984 30-series Chevy/GMC van.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RDavisinVA

Those sound like some good numbers.

20 mpg is really surprising out of an engine architecture this old and this large displacement.

I guess the EfI probably helps

Please note these are only first time numbers based on relatively short trips calculated by filling up the tank, driving a relatively short distance 30 to 40 miles, using the odometer reading, and filling it up again.
Then calculating the MPG from distance driven and fuel consumption shown buy the amount of gasoline to refill the tank up to the filler neck.
The spedo has not been calibrated, but people keep asking, so was pressured to give it a try.
Anyway this will give you some idea at least.

So if you take the lowest figures, it's 9 around town and 16 on the highway around 55 - 65.
That's not horrible, but was better than I expected.

Will try and get some more accurate numbers during our trip out to MAR Thursday.

Last edited:

LR Max

I can believe 20 mpg. I got 18 mpg out of my 109 after the EFI conversion. Sitting at 60-65 mph on the interstate. RPMs were at around 2800-3000. I suspect if I wasn't driving through the mountains, had road tires instead of mud tires, and didn't have 4.7 diffs, I could've gotten better MPG.

What RPMs is the engine cranking out at cruise? Lets round to say, 65-70 mph.

Yes please provide a report from MAR. In all honesty, if this would fit in my 109, I'd be tempted.

RDavisinVA

I can believe 20 mpg. I got 18 mpg out of my 109 after the EFI conversion. Sitting at 60-65 mph on the interstate. RPMs were at around 2800-3000. I suspect if I wasn't driving through the mountains, had road tires instead of mud tires, and didn't have 4.7 diffs, I could've gotten better MPG.

What RPMs is the engine cranking out at cruise? Lets round to say, 65-70 mph.

Yes please provide a report from MAR. In all honesty, if this would fit in my 109, I'd be tempted.

RPMs at at 60-65 mph on the interstate = about 2,000 to 2,100.

Last edited:

RDavisinVA

As I said before, it also feels odd to put an engine in it that is likely twice as old as the vehicle itself.

So because the GM inline 6 engines were manufactured during the same years as the Land Rovers many of us own, the engine is considered to be federialized and could mean they are compliant in areas where owners have to undergo smog testing. Wonder if the GM inline 6 could be CA compliant?

That's why I say I have to wait till mine breaks to make the decision to do a conversion back to gas. I'm curious about some real world MPG. This is my daily driver that I rely on, so MPG is a thing.

I drive it with my foot in it all the time and on the highway between 70 and 80 (which also means you are barely pressing the petal on a flat roadway segment).
Realistically the way I drive it, my mileage with the 292 with a 1.4 LT230 is 11-15 MPG, but if our main concern were mileage, we would all own vehicles that get substantially better economy.
When diesel prices went so much higher than gasoline, it was time for a change...
Here in VA, diesel is 40 to 60 cents more per gallon.
So if the cost of diesel is about 20% more than gas, you could get 20% worse mileage and still come out at about the same cost.

Attachments

• IMG_20180528_083419773_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180528_083419773_HDR.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 260