Callsign: KF7KFZ
Less than 5k miles:

Attachments

• 79DECA2A-0D8B-4887-BF84-852DD3FFC89E.jpg
    79DECA2A-0D8B-4887-BF84-852DD3FFC89E.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 171

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Excessive oil in the cylinder combustion chamber or trash in the fuel forcing the injector to leak.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I'm chasing my demon again, since it seems to have gotten louder since yesterday. (Hard to ignore it when it gets worse.) Would a clogged injector cause the pingringknock sound? One thing that is interesting is that it is certainly coming from the #1 region, but it is not in the block, the noise is coming from the head at the #1 piston, or valve locations.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I switched injectors with one of my originals that had been cleaned and tested. At first it seemed like it cured the sound, but then it came back. The difference between when the sound is there versus when it is not there is the difference between having a ear plugs in and not.

Oh well... back to trying to ignore it.......

What should be done to fix the issue of excessive oil in the cylinder? My fuel filter has 3k miles, and it is 5 micron.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Hummm. Hat does bring up a question I’ve had in general: What is lugging for this engine? I generally try to drive gently, but I’m often at 2000 rpm when starting off in any new gear. I usually let the turbo come up and the RPMs to come up to about 2200 before asking it to accelerate.

Napalm00

Hummm. Hat does bring up a question I?ve had in general: What is lugging for this engine? I generally try to drive gently, but I?m often at 2000 rpm when starting off in any new gear. I usually let the turbo come up and the RPMs to come up to about 2200 before asking it to accelerate.

The way I look at it if the turbo isn't spooled you're probably lugging. There's obviously exceptions to this, but you're going to get your best efficiency and engine performance when you are boosting

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Seems logical. That’s what I try to do, but I think I let it stay below that spooling point a bit too long. Have actually been meaning to ask about it.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I’ll watch for a leak, and the moisture on the injector was almost certainly fuel. Could have come from opening it up. I was more concerned about what the inside, the tip looks like. The carbon on the top is chunky, and some of it looks naked on. The injection holes are visible under magnification, so if they are fouled, it is from the inside.

I have to say, despite all of my crap I keep throwing at you guys, this thing does run well. I wonder what would happen if I never looked under the rock and just drove it.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
I have to say, despite all of my crap I keep throwing at you guys, this thing does run well. I wonder what would happen if I never looked under the rock and just drove it.

Excellent idea!!

But wait, there's more to Rover Counseling than driving.

Hang a sign on the hood release that says number of days since I opened the hood...update daily and post photo. :)

LR Max

Just conferenced with our diesel engine trainer on this.

He said it looks like there is a fuel leak from the injector body. So at this point, I'd say the injector needs to be rebuilt/replaced. And as always, if you do one injector, you probably should be doing all four.

Alternatively, there could be a valve cover leak above it. Of course this is the "wildcard" diagnosis without seeing the entire picture.

He indicated that the carbon on the injector tip is pretty normal. So not to worry too much about that.

What settings are the pump at? Have you done a fuel return test? See if the pump is sending the correct amount of fuel to each cylinder?

Does an oil change make the pinging go away?

LR Max

Also stop babying this engine. Effing run it. Get her up to temp. Run her hard for 30-45 minutes or so at least every month. Make sure you burn all fuel out of the crank case and clear the wet stack from the exhaust. This is more important on the newer common rail + EAT diesels, but still not a bad idea for older diesels.

Now don't go run 1500F EGTs, but good load.

Also make sure the knock isn't coming from the HP pump. I have seen that. Super rare but easy to check. Don't want you to run around chasing a ghost.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Just conferenced with our diesel engine trainer on this.

He said it looks like there is a fuel leak from the injector body. So at this point, I'd say the injector needs to be rebuilt/replaced. And as always, if you do one injector, you probably should be doing all four.

Didn't he indicate the injectors have less than 5k miles on them since new/rebuilt and that swapping in a cleaned and recently tested injector results in the same diesel ping noise ?

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Didn't he indicate the injectors have less than 5k miles on them since new/rebuilt and that swapping in a cleaned and recently tested injector results in the same diesel ping noise ?

Yes.

I dondrive the truck enough to get it up to temp. I put 120 miles on it in one drive just two days ago. I am unable to get EGTs above 1000, but I?m not 100% sure how accurate the probe/gauge is. I am pretty sure it is running well, but that noise is so annoying it?s difficult to let it go without thinking about it.

With the swapped injector, it might have slightly changed the noise. Hard to tell. But with all the listening I?ve done with the stethoscope, I am sure it is coming from the head, from right above #1 piston. It can?t really be heard at all anyplace else. I think I hear it in the thermostat and water pump due to the way sound travels through water. I?ve adjusted the valves back and forth from tight to loose to see if that changes anything.

Napalm00

I never knew you weren't able to get over a thousand degrees.
You either have very retarded timing, below stock fueling or really high boost to keep numbers like that.

If you can't make it over a thousand you are leaving a ton of performance on the table

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Timing is good. Turbo is new and has not been adjusted. The diaphragm in the IP has been turned so that the pin gives maximum fueling. I get black smoke when I want to, but it never leaves a trail, just enough to blow a cloud out the pipe.

I’m going to do some videos to show performance. Maybe it should be doing a lot better than I think.

Napalm00

what is your timing set to lift wise ? fact is if you cant breach 1k you are way under fueled.

Im dialed back from where i was and can hit 1k in a city block if i wanted to