Callsign: delete
front

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    578.8 KB · Views: 278

Uncle Douglas

waiting for another Parker Hanefin J2044 female 90 fitting. First one failed before I could even turn the key. Cummins uses these quick connects for fuel in and return on the injection pump. In talking with others installing these engines, the fail rate on these unique fittings has been less than stellar.

I made all my fuel lines using -6n pushlock Parker fuel hose and-6 fittings.

I mounted the oil filter head to the left chassis rail using a bracket I made that uses one of the upper trans crossmember bolts and one of the bulkhead to frame bracket bolts. This puts the oil filter where it can be easily accessed and changing it over a pan is easily done, but it is protected.

I had oil lines made to the remote filter mount again by Parker. Trans cooler lines, power steering lines, oil filter lines, and all fuel lines,are all industrial grade Parker product.

I even went as far as having adapters from the 5/16 fuel tank compression fittings to -6N hose fittings.

rherl

Going MT82 would bring its own collection of fit problems. We're trying to make this simpler.

I can see that it would if you are transplanting which most folks will be. I'm starting with a chassis and building up from there. So no real problems for me except a $5000 adapter plate. I would have a modern engine mated to a modern transmission that would bolt directly to the chassis I'm using. I would have to do motor mounts and thats it. Using a TDCI bulkhead and dash everything is in stock position and looks factory. Also MT82 will handle the torque of the 2.8r in tuned form.

Beautiful work Doug!

Uncle Douglas

Nope. New brake master was defective. Have it up and running but havent driven it.
Shooting for Uwharrie.

Uncle Douglas

FWIW,
Cummins has offered the reflash to up the hp and torque numbers. Not ready for it yet but for those following along, if memory serves the numbers are appx 210hp and 385ft lbs torque.

Thats a mere 15hp less hp but 100 ft lbs more torque (true power measure) more than a Rover GEMS 4.6 V8 engine.

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
FWIW,
Cummins has offered the reflash to up the hp and torque numbers. Not ready for it yet but for those following along, if memory serves the numbers are appx 40 more hp and 100 or so more ft lbs torque.

good to keep in mind when researching gear boxes.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
FWIW,
Cummins has offered the reflash to up the hp and torque numbers. Not ready for it yet but for those following along, if memory serves the numbers are appx 210hp and 385ft lbs torque.

Thats a mere 15hp less hp but 100 ft lbs more torque (true power measure) more than a Rover GEMS 4.6 V8 engine.

Unless I'm wrong (and I get reminded about that daily) that makes the 6L80e and NV4500 about the only gearbox choices.

Uncle Douglas

Well she's off to her new home in Ohio. Owner plans to take the truck to as many events as he can this year.
If you click on the photo's to enlarge them again ea time they enlarge it gets to original size after three enlargements
Awesome piece of machinery, we totaly enjoyed this project.

Attachments

• IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    849.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2386.JPG
    IMG_2386.JPG
    725.2 KB · Views: 294

AdamSanta85

Unless I'm wrong (and I get reminded about that daily) that makes the 6L80e and NV4500 about the only gearbox choices.

I have heard rumors of people considering the Jeep AX15 manual transmission too. Supposedly it is a little stronger than the R380 and widely available/affordable.

Uncle Douglas

I have heard rumors of people considering the Jeep AX15 manual transmission too. Supposedly it is a little stronger than the R380 and widely available/affordable.

Early on when trying to decide which way to go we considered the Aisin. After playing with the gear ratio calculator on the Cummins repower site the decision was made to go with the 6l80e for the 6 gear options and 4.10 diffs with a 1.2 tcase. The industry seems to be moving to more gears so that you can always find the sweet spot as opposed to being caught in between two gears and needing a split. Chris and Kevin @ Axis are working on making an 8 spd work.

This weekend we talked a lot about having stronger mainshafts made for r380's. Going to see if its possible to make an r380 stumpy trans that will hold up.

That would enable defender owners to not need to change seatbox, tunnel, floors etc and placing the engine further back eliminates the need to change the factory chassis mounts. Ie make this a bolt in. We preceive the primary market/application for these engines to be trucks that were rover 4 cyls that need either complete rebuilds or repower.

AdamSanta85

This weekend we talked a lot about having stronger mainshafts made for r380's. Going to see if its possible to make an r380 stumpy trans that will hold up.

That would enable defender owners to not need to change seatbox, tunnel, floors etc and placing the engine further back eliminates the need to change the factory chassis mounts. Ie make this a bolt in. We preceive the primary market/application for these engines to be trucks that were rover 4 cyls that need either complete rebuilds or repower.

Sign me up. Great idea. I still want an 300-400 crank HP LS with an R380 stumpy behind it. This Cummins would be sweet too.