Bypass key in defender

roverrange

Has anyone bypassed the ignition key with a heavy duty momentary switch? I installed one in a Bmw from a BMW z8 many years ago but now push button starts are pretty common so should be easy to come by. I would have a kill switch hidden somewhere as well. The truck really never leaves the farm so not that worried about theft and more worried about losing the key.

The truck is 89 tith with 2.5 NA so no immobilizor or other security features that I know of.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Jason Lavendar @ SDO can fix you up with a Carling momentary switch etc that gets rid of the original ingnition switch. He did a write up years ago somewhere....

craigd

I installed the Carling Switch from Jason at SDO earlier this summer. It is awesome. Super easy to install. I still need the key to allow the steering wheel to turn.

1of40

I installed the Carling Switch from Jason at SDO earlier this summer. It is awesome. Super easy to install. I still need the key to allow the steering wheel to turn.

No way to remove that lock feature?

roverrange

I was assuming (hoping) on my truck, which is an 89, I could eliminate the key entirely. Craigd what year is yours?

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Miltary trucks do not have a column lock. On civilian trucks it can be disabled by simply drilling out the break off heads and either pulling the spring loaded plug in the switch housing or simply sliding the switch housing up or down the column a tad so that the plunger no longer fits down into the hole in the column tube. Have seen lots of trucks where the column lock doesnt work because the plunger doesnt align. With Lav's setup you can remove the the switch housing entirely but you are then left with a hole in the column shroud to fill.

craigd

Miltary trucks do not have a column lock. On civilian trucks it can be disabled by simply drilling out the break off heads and either pulling the spring loaded plug in the switch housing or simply sliding the switch housing up or down the column a tad so that the plunger no longer fits down into the hole in the column tube. Have seen lots of trucks where the column lock doesnt work because the plunger doesnt align. With Lav's setup you can remove the the switch housing entirely but you are then left with a hole in the column shroud to fill.

What Doug said.

I did not want to do this so I still use the key to unlock the column. Extra layer of security