Problem with Mantec

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Do any of you know if there are any parts available for the Mantec swing away? Where might I find them?

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
LOL, I thought they had gone out of business. I guess I'll see if they have any left overs, since it looks like they don't sell anything but the snorkels.

mitherial

Here's an update from their website on the spare wheel carrier saying that it will be available again "after August 2018."
http://www.mantec.co.uk/newsitem.cfm?theNewsItemID=596522DB-D4AE-52C7-704942B30CD6822D

Given that it was widely reported that Mantec had gone out of business, I assume that this "ISG Accessories Trading as Mantec" must be a separate company that purchased the name -- anyway, I am glad to hear that at least some of their products are still in service as I am looking to get a spare wheel carrier myself.

mitherial

Ah, "Ian and Sandra Gough [ISG], the registered proprietors of the international MANTEC trade mark, EU registered designs and patents are continuing to supply MANTEC products through ISG Accessories Ltd."

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Its definitely a bit of a mess they are digging out of. Their Ebay store has this classic bit of er self promotion.

"We are working hard to get more Mantec products available to you so turn around time is slower. "

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I was going to say, I thought I remember trying to look them up last year, and not getting anything that looked like this web site.

BarryO

The reason I posted the page is that it has email and telephone contact info. You could contact them directly.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Update: They got the video, and they are running it by their design/engineering. I'm assuming that means they forwarded it on to whoever does the machining of their parts.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
They want to send me an o-ring. Or, for me to send them 66 pounds for a new piston and cylinder. I should have sent it back to Rover's North when first got it and noticed that the cylinder mounting holes were drilled in the wrong spots. But Rover's North wanted me to send back the whole thing, so that would have cost me at least 66 pounds anyway.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Paddock Spares has received a shipment of Mantec tire carriers. So the production line is definitely rolling.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
i just saw your video. Maybe try buying some shim stock and wrapping it around the plastic tube ans securing with epoxy? that vibration seems really minor to ship stuff across country. Every tire carrier ive seen has this or worse

DiscoDavis

the rubber bushings on the piston on mine wear out very fast, especially in rough driving. Eventually I expect to have the same wear issue you do on the piston and will probably shim it.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
i just saw your video. Maybe try buying some shim stock and wrapping it around the plastic tube ans securing with epoxy? that vibration seems really minor to ship stuff across country. Every tire carrier ive seen has this or worse

What is shim stock?

The rattle is pretty minor, it's just that it was that way out of the box. If the thing was a couple years old. But yeah, not going to be spending a ton of time and money on this.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
It's on Amazon thin sheets of steel or brass , like aluminum foil but much stronger in a roll in different thicknesses