Discovery 200tdi into Defender

donb

Great work Don. I?m think?n Vermont is on your horizon.

I?m hoping I can get everything done. Still have a lot to do. I?m going to tow the 110 up so I guess I could always load it and hang out if if doesn?t work 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Flywheel housing studs make the engine install much more difficult.
We never use them and use bolts instead.
You can put long bolts in to line everything up and then use shorter bolts as you pull the engine closer to the transmission.

donb

Flywheel housing studs make the engine install much more difficult.
We never use them and use bolts instead.
You can put long bolts in to line everything up and then use shorter bolts as you pull the engine closer to the transmission.

I can see them making it tougher to line things up. My only worry is with the cast aluminum piece and bolt length. I may leave the studs and then can pull them if it?s a too hard to line the engine up.

1of40

I?m hoping I can get everything done. Still have a lot to do. I?m going to tow the 110 up so I guess I could always load it and hang out if if doesn?t work 100%

Excellent! I?m swinging by NYC to pick up my daughter then headed up. I?ll be on the lookout for ya.

RDavisinVA

I can see them making it tougher to line things up. My only worry is with the cast aluminum piece and bolt length. I may leave the studs and then can pull them if it?s a too hard to line the engine up.

We just installed a 19J in a 90 last week.
Owner had to have originality until he drove the 292, now wants to convert, but that's a different story.
The 19J is really hard to like up on a LHD with PS,

We took all the studs out and put 4 long bolts in each "corner".
Then we slowly worked the engine in by applying shorter bolts in the remaining holes.
As we got closer we turned the crank with a breaker bar and socket.
This lined up the clutch driven plate splines with the first motion shaft.
Then it was just a matter of installing the correct length bolts.
We didn't even take the floor and tunnel out.
I can find the left over bolts if you want the correct length on the ones we used to hold the engine to the belhousing.
As long as you are careful and don't cross thread the bolts, you'll be fine.

Sent from my keyboard with 2 finger typing using fat fingers.

donb

Thanks for the offer for the bolts Robert - I can measure the depths of he bores and get some. I?ll figure that out once I get the engine all prepped for install.

On a plus I finally got the flywheel back. 4 trips to the machine shop a half hour away but I have a new contact for machine work.

dff39424e7b8943657fd16bb3700c211.jpg

donb

I think I have the rear main T deal installed correctly. The old setup had the cork seals and one side had half it missing with Right Stuff filling in. Maybe it sealed but seemed like it could be done better. I made the guides out of some scrap aluminum I had laying around from an old dishwasher handle (if it?s aluminum or stainless I save it). That scrap has been on the shelf for years and it was nice in that it was almost the perfect size.

Cleaned and T seals installed - I took them out after the picture and prepped them with Right Stuff
749ab16da6133d167b0c8dfae068325b.jpg

Engine side prepped:
c75a7a64a2b4098ab52b4fa7e5a4e450.jpg

Rear main installed and torqued to 130 N/M
1996a293da86670db02291c2c585d71b.jpg

Cut the T deal extra down to 1mm showing:
b32a12e9f54f5d1504d01cd18bda8ded.jpg

QUESTION:
Here is a picture of the inside T seal. Should I try and cut the overhang or just leave it?
ac161a93cb44ad6247d0553bc9170e05.jpg

Red90

The 19J is really hard to like up on a LHD with PS,

Always leave the PS pump off during removal and install on all the diesels up to the 200TDI. Never had a problem with alignment. Never, ever remove any interior pieces. Don't pull up with bolts or use alignment bolts. Align, wiggle, turn shaft, wiggle, bang she is home.

donb

It would be fab if the site admins would turn on auto resizing of the pics....

I posted full size/larger resolution as I hate researching something and the photos are too small to show certain details. I access N-R from my phone so didn?t notice it doesn?t auto-resize the photos.

RDavisinVA

I finally got the flywheel back.

Now would be the time to drill the holes to tap the pins out.
You can get a centering drill bit and drill from the top then once the center is sufficiently started, switch to a proper drill bit and drill the hole smaller than the dowel pin hole.
This will leave the step and hole to drive the pins out.

donb

Oil pan cleaned and prepped - there was some surface rust so did a quick sand and paint. Doesn?t look great but should protect it for a bit.

beb72bd38e7a3e3b3109d1f94536afe6.jpg

971e92db2bff927a0305080ea337924c.jpg

Pulled the oil pump to get the ladder frame back in. I originally pulled the 4 bolts and moved the screen to get it off.
96fd4e719ebae659b09dfcc67d5dd3ab.jpg

Ladder frame and pan sealed with Right Stuff. I think the Right Stuff pushes out a good amount. Bolts I torqued to 25NM. I wired brushed the heads as they were pretty crappy and then used a paint marker after re-installing.
874e07a835fc37a04eb57441eba937bc.jpg

7a738f88f4481196c2aa6e1dc1e46cbf.jpg

donb

Now would be the time to drill the holes to tap the pins out.

You can get a centering drill bit and drill from the top then once the center is sufficiently started, switch to a proper drill bit and drill the hole smaller than the dowel pin hole.

This will leave the step and hole to drive the pins out.

Seemed like a lot of people recommended to drill holes to tap the pins out. Welding honestly wasn?t bad but if the next person doesn?t have the capability then his might help.

Didn?t need a centering bit - think I used a 3/32? bit.

63dce41bca0e40e311f3090755898c78.jpg

cab503b905c9ab3647c0d3cfcb2f0a46.jpg