GM 292 Straight 6 - Yet another conversion

RDavisinVA

Technical Excellence Contributor
Throttle cable connected.
EFI is working and learning as it dials itself in.
Thus far every time we drive it, the performance and economy improve.
Seems about 20% faster.

Under hood temperature is greatly reduced with the heat shield.
Today, will remove the heat shield and tidy up all the wiring.
While the heat shield is off, will apply the gold heat reflective material to the underside to make the heat shield more efficient.
Picture shows the sheet laying on the vehicle before we take the scissors to it.

Anyone know which throttle cable that is with a round cylinder at the end instead of a clevis fork?
The cable end looks like the end of a bicycle handbrake cable.
I found it in my giant pile of take off parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_100739671_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_100739671_HDR.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20180701_100817425_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_100817425_HDR.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20180701_100747896_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_100747896_HDR.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20180701_101020246.jpg
    IMG_20180701_101020246.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 295

RDavisinVA

At first we thought the handheld was defective because it wouldn't wake up according to the manual.
We noticed a socket for a computer interface cable mentioned in the manual only for firmware updates.
We decided to plug in a USB interface cable.
We happened to have an old garman cable that fit the handheld and when we plugged it into a laptop the handheld woke up.
This allowed us to configure the engine characteristics, idle speed, throttle position stop and max, type of unit, fuel pressure, and so on.
Then we plugged the USB into a 12V power source and it woke up again.
For some odd reason, not mentioned in the manual, a 12V USB connection is required, so I'm wiring the 12V USB to work with the ignition switch so we don't have to plug it in every time we drive the 110.
Am going to report this back to the manufacturer.
I saw posts from people who removed fully installed systems because of dead handhelds and bet all that was needed was the correct USB cable plugged into a 12V power source!

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_131525580.jpg
    IMG_20180701_131525580.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20180701_131521487 (1).jpg
    IMG_20180701_131521487 (1).jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 231

85RED110

I like the layout of that handheld. Much better than FiTech.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RDavisinVA

Found the accelerator cable, NTC2086 in the 1983 to 1986 Parts List, which is for a RHD with the 2.5 Petrol.
Made a bracket to hold it to the stock EZ-EFI throttle bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20180701_144155978_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180701_144155978_HDR.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 280

RDavisinVA

Was behind in so many other projects that it forced me to take a break from the 292.
Finally had some time last night to work with the machinist to finish the accelerator linkage.
110 is up and running today and drove it during my lunch break.
Very fast and very smooth.
The 2 barrel Holley sniper is so much better over the Easy EFI.
Less than half the wires due to the internal ECU.
Very very impressive without any hesitation or backfire that came with the Easy EFI.
We are going to fit the Holley 2 barrel EFI to the GM 4 cylinder 3.0 liter we build and install one in a 110 as well.

RDavisinVA

It's always a pleasure, muthalikka!
We need a chat up to plan some of the up-coming events.

I Garrentonteeyou things are stable in his camp, although lots going on with follow-up testing !
Julie has been a point to pivot on for Mark setting a good example for all.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Mark sent me a text last night that he's bought an Oz tent. Moab, MAR, and Uwharrie are in our plans. Looking forward to camping with you guys soon. Guess we will be grilling vegetables instead of cowboy cut ribeyes.

RDavisinVA

After about 40 miles, the 292 Inline 6 with Holley Sniper 2 barrel runs very smooth.
What a pleasure to drive.
No vapor lock issues, no overheating, we are good to go.
Am going to start building kits.
Shipping the adapter mold off to the foundry next week.
Stay tuned for updates.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I'm crying a little bit on the inside, because I love my 300Tdi because I hate my 300Tdi because.... wait....

It's just that I love the diesel, but I don't like the massive rumbling and noise I get anywhere over 55 mph. Most drives don't need me to go over 65, but this is a modern world. Most drives are not for hours long, but when they are, I want to go 75 on the open road, and I don't want to be completely beat up when I'm done.

So I'm crying a bit because I know that when I need to rebuild my 300, I'll just end up with something like this instead.

I'm curious if you could add up a general price for the conversion brackets and mounts and such, assuming that the engine and ancillaries could be sourced here and there in the mean time. Would love to hear about fuel econ once you get a few hundred miles on the clock.

RDavisinVA

I haven't kept track of mileage because the 110 is so much fun to drive and hard to keep your foot out of it.
It's like being a kid on a carnival ride, so much fum.

No pricing yet, but planning on offering full bolt on kits less the engine.
Looks like the stock alternator and PS pump mounts on the 230 and 250 engines may work without any modifications, but will know more later when we have time to fit one.

Last edited:

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Other than reliability, what is the benefit of this over a 3.5/3.9 V8? How are you getting such good performance compared to the V8 I've had in the Defender, RRC, and Disco when the HP is less than those Rover engines?

I have a few friends who have Chevy engines in their 109s. One is an older carbed engine, I forget the model, the other is the 4.2 LL8 Atlas that he simply remapped the EFI computer on. I have driven that truck at over 80 mph with A/C on. The big thing there is that he had to use a different transmission, etc...

Red90

Performance should be similar to a Rover V8 with more torque down low due to the larger displacement. The point of this is it is a simple bolt in conversion. Changing to a V8 is a much more complex task.

RDavisinVA

Other than reliability, what is the benefit of this over a 3.5/3.9 V8? How are you getting such good performance compared to the V8 I've had in the Defender, RRC, and Disco when the HP is less than those Rover engines?

I have a few friends who have Chevy engines in their 109s. One is an older carbed engine, I forget the model, the other is the 4.2 LL8 Atlas that he simply remapped the EFI computer on. I have driven that truck at over 80 mph with A/C on. The big thing there is that he had to use a different transmission, etc...

280 ft lbs of torque.
These engines were used in wreckers and dump trucks, motor homes, UPS trucks, vans, pickups, delivery trucks, and SUVs.
More power than you will ever use.
Remember HP is a derivative of torque and Rpm.
High torque at low RPM means lower HP figures.
HP is completely arbitrary with our vehicles.
I commonly drive at 80 MPH when the traffic allows.

Performance should be similar to a Rover V8 with more torque down low due to the larger displacement. The point of this is it is a simple bolt in conversion. Changing to a V8 is a much more complex task.

To comment on what John B said, well yeah, what he said.
292 bolts right to the Land Rover transmission.
Bolts in and out, so an easy weekend conversion.
Everything 292 is so accessible you can change an engine in about 4-5 hours.
A 292 starter change takes less than 10 minutes.
Everything is right where you can get to it easily.
The Rover V8 is terrible with those Y-pipes in the way of everything.
Changing a starter is a pain in the ass.
Particularly the top V8 starter bolt.
The Rover V8 engines sit for a while and loose oil prime and wipe out the bearings and cams, oh wait I have crossed the unreliable Rover V8 line!
OK, other than reliability...

Think I'll go for another enjoyable 292 powered ride!

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I can see where working on the engine would be a lot nicer. After having the Tdi, I hate opening the hood on the Disco or RRC......

We need more videos.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Update? Mileage? Overheating? (I have a friend with one in a 109 that overheats, probably because the radiator is too small and in a slightly bad position from the install.)