NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > Defender Technical Discussions

Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #11
rovercolorado

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
Here are a few thoughts from a British ex-pat living in NA.
1. Never buy a truck from anywhere near the coast, the salt air gets into everything.
2. Farmers are the worst at maintaining there LR's and they live in cow & sheep crap, again rots the chassis.
3. In winter the roads turn into salt lakes and most owners don't wash there vehicles often enough.
I'd suggest searching in Europe Spain etc for good LHD examples as the weather is kind to them and the food & wine are much better if your heading over for a few weeks !

Happy Hunting !

My truck was from Southern Spain and I can agree that was a better starting point than UK trucks plus it's LHD.

Because it's already LHD it will cost more in the US because so many don't want to drive RHD trucks in the US.

"My old man always said, buy shit get shit. If you are looking for a deal then you are probably getting swindled. If you spend a little more on the truck initially you will probably save money in the long run."

Your old man was correct but I do take it with a grain of salt. It's a Land Rover built by hand with questionable parts to begin with and used as a true utility vehicle. The Defender is a Tractor nothing more. You can't compare a 1991 Defender to a 1991 Celica it's like Mars and Venus. A little more is a very relative term with Defenders at $20K you get a basic truck with no known history and probably lots of future headaches. $50K gets you a pretty truck with some work performed on it but still problems waiting for the new owner. $75K gets you a rebuilt truck that will make a good daily driver and get you on the trails and back home. This is a passion not a practical matter. Anything older than 25 years made by LR will have issues 100%. For whatever reason most of us on forums and owners of Land Rover fell in love with the brand and often overlook the many things that go wrong with these trucks. I have friends with vintage Corvettes, Mustangs, Jeeps and Broncos and they see a greater reward for servicing and rebuilding those vehicles making them more reliable for daily use. Every old vehicle has quirks and issues but some brands have more than others. My oil stained driveway is missing my Defender but my wife doesn't.
rovercolorado is offline   Reply With Quote