Water Line

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
When the waterline is at the bottom of the door handles, is this too deep? Duoh!

It happened pretty quickly, it was only about 30 feet long. It was just a large puddle that was a normal depth on one half, but I had my passenger side in a rut that I didn't know about. The door handles will need to be cleaned of dirt from being under water, and I have hosed out the interior. It stayed on that one side, and only got the feet wet of the passengers before I was out the other side. If I had stalled, they would have been in over their ankles in muddy chunks of ice and water! Also, my wife following in the Disco was quick enough to nope it out to the safe side before she dove in behind me. I'm sure that would have ended in disaster for a stock DI.

...Luckily, it seems like nothing got into the air intake for the engine. However, a large amount of water did go directly into the fresh air intake, and probably reached the fan. The fan may be dead. It was not running, but a few minutes later I flipped it on because the windows had instantly steamed up, and they were starting to drip. It might have tried to come on, then blew the fuse. It's something I have been meaning to do some work on anyway. So...

• Are there any alternative fans for a standard heater box that work better than the original?
  • Other than the normal cleaning and checking of things, should I look for anything else after going this deep? I plan on changing the air filter.

DiscoDavis

yeah do the diffs, t case, trans oils

their stock breathers are about the height of the valve cover, and the rear diff breather is much lower

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
So I had a problem with my fan in NYC after some rain then frigid temperatures. It had rained a lot then was meant to be very cold so I decided to drive. I was excited for driving because I wouldn't have to walk in the cold to and from the train. I started driving and once the engine had warmed a bit I turned on the blower and heard a pop from the fuse box area (blown fuse). I got to work and found that the drain on the fresh air intake had become clogged which caused the rain water to turn to ice on the fan. Simple to fix, just clean out the drain.

A side note to that.. I had also been experiencing a lot of condensation on the inside of the windscreen after car washes or rain which has since stopped after cleaning the drain. It really stopped once I moved to Southern California.