Safety Devices Roll Cage Questions

Tbaumer

Technical Excellence Contributor
Installed a Safety Devices four point rear cage L255. One of the upper right side bars has a square metal piece welded to it that I have no idea what it is there for. The instructions are absolute rubbish, but it is a simple thing to lay out the pieces & figure out how it all fits. I also have two "boxes" (only one pictured) with square plates that are not listed in the instructions & some unfinished angles & drilled plates.
They are possibly for the front external cage L138/3 I still need to install, but do not see them listed on those instructions either. Any ideas? I think from the shape that they are for the rear seat belts to mount to, but my seat belt assemblies do not fit inside them & again, the instructions are useless. I can reach out to Safety Devices, but thought I would try here first. Any ideas?

IMG_1434.jpgIMG_1433.jpgIMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1431.jpgIMG_1418.jpgIMG_1424.jpg

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Can't really speak to your questions but there is bracketry that bolts to the two front out riggers that are the mounting points for the front cage section. Possibly the worst company ever as far as instructions go, defintely share your pain. We have had several cages where parts for the right side were labeled left and vice versa, missing /poorly counted hardware etc.
If you are working on the cage does that mean you have the 200 up and running ?

Ash

The overhead brackets appear to relocate the proximity sensors, as equipped on later model trucks with alarm systems. Those metal boxes, and accompanying plates, are housings for your front seat belt reels to keep them protected.

Can't comment on what those bare metal brackets are, but typically I have a stack of shims and spacers left over from most cage installs that I hardly ever find myself using.

-Ash

Tbaumer

If you are working on the cage does that mean you have the 200 up and running ?

I knew that would come up :eek:. All that is left is to wire in the glow plug relay, hook up some hoses, shroud & ensure my fluids are full. I've had the cab apart (with no battery box), I'll update the other thread this weekend :).

Tbaumer

The overhead brackets appear to relocate the proximity sensors, as equipped on later model trucks with alarm systems. Those metal boxes, and accompanying plates, are housings for your front seat belt reels to keep them protected. -Ash

There is just the one welded square on the right side. I'll message Safety Devices & get an definite answer on it. As for the seatbelt protectors - Of course that would be it! I was so focused on trying to fit the rear (behind the middle row) seatbelts in them, that I didn't even try the ones for the front seats (that are installed & screaming, "Kick dirt in me!"). I'll update with pics after.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Yeah, I've not figured out what that bracket is either. I think someday I'll figure a way to put a light there or something.

I could not figure out the instructions either, till I started putting it together in the truck. It makes sense more than their instructions do. And I never did get the cool armored seat belt ratchet covers to fit. I still have the plain metal L brackets too, no idea where they go!

Are you putting rear seats in?

Here is what I got for the padding. Fits nice and tight, may buy another set and cut to fit the tight spots: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7FUAX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tbaumer

I'm putting the original bench seat back in with a matching Knightsbridge Overland cover. It isn't as cool as some of the upgrades, but no one ever rides back there except my dog. I'll share the info if I can figure out how to fit the seatbelt brackets.

Tbaumer

Okay - Don't do this. DO NOT remove the plastic end covers on a seatbelt assembly. Thought they were in the way to fit my Safety Devices protectors. They wouldn't be necessary to keep dirt out once the metal covers are mounted around them, right? The fact that I needed a three prong tamper proof bit should have raised a red flag right? Results are in the pics.

IMG_1437.jpgIMG_1438.jpgIMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1443 2.jpg

It's better than a "Pop goes the weasel" it was so unexpected! I was tempted to just order new & say nothing, but this might save someone from making the same mistake.

Tbaumer

The best (worst) part is; I figured out the technique AFTER exploding my passenger side belt assembly. It's actually a good design.

IMG_1440.jpgIMG_1441.jpgIMG_1442.jpg

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
So does it actually fit back together and work now? I think I got mine to go in the cover, but the flat cover would not go on.

Tbaumer

The last pic shows the cover laying flat on the ratchet protector. You have to fasten it together before mounting the entire assembly to the cage foot with the single bolt (accessed through the cut out in the cover). It all makes sense... five minutes after I blew up the passenger side.
Oh well, I read somewhere that seat belts should be replaced after ten (10) years of use (That's what I'm telling my wife).

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I may have to give it another try, but I'm pretty sure something was different about mine that didn't allow it to close or bolt down properly.

Tbaumer

Anyone have pics of your middle row seat belt attachment location with an internal cage? The old location (see 1st pic) was taken by the cage brackets. The new brackets have two holes, not needed for cage mount, but the ratchet roller doesn't fit either of them, due to the bracket bolts being in the way...

old middle row seat belt location.jpgIMG_1431.jpgIMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1429.jpgIMG_1421.jpg

Tbaumer

This may be due to the cage being puma style seat ready (in case I decide to go that way in the future) & my original bench seat. I would like to mount the ratchet assembly as close to the original location as possible. The cage bolts won't allow using the available two holes in the cage bracket. I'm thinking of fabricating my own plate steel bracket, using the cage holes, to place it like so. Am I missing something the correct way to install these?

IMG_1454.jpgIMG_1455.jpgIMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1453.jpg

Tbaumer

Did you reinforce behind the fender well with a flat plate to bolt through? I am a little concerned about just going through sheet metal for a seatbelt attachment, but I guess that's all it went through at the C pillar attachment. Also, a plate will collect debris in the wheel well. Does the seat belt rub against the seat or cage as it retracts? It would be great if you get a chance to post a pic.

JimC

Super Moderator
Staff member
The retractors have been hidden behind the window trim ever since they introduced the grey plastic window trims. I think I would just procure some newer-style side and rear window trim, which you could dye that oatmeal color if you wanted to. That would eliminate a bunch of old fuzzy and vinyl-covered bit and give you a tidy spot to secure your retractors without having in invent a solution.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Did you reinforce behind the fender well with a flat plate to bolt through? I am a little concerned about just going through sheet metal for a seatbelt attachment, but I guess that's all it went through at the C pillar attachment. Also, a plate will collect debris in the wheel well. Does the seat belt rub against the seat or cage as it retracts? It would be great if you get a chance to post a pic.

Yes, but I was actually talking about the bottom strap. I think you are asking about the ratchet part. Mine are on the pillar at shoulder height behind the window trim piece.

Tbaumer

Aha! That's what I was missing. Being my first & only 110 (The oddball 1986 edition at that), I didn't even think about raising it up on the pillar. I looked up some images of the shoulder height mounting location.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
One of mine was in place, the other was set there with a home made option.... so I bought the proper mount bracket for the spot...........

...it didn't fit.

The holes across the top were in the wrong place compared to the holes in the roof line. The holes for spacing were in the wrong place across the back, and the side. and the bottom/side holes were also off center from where the bolts/holes were on my truck.

When I say they were "off" I mean some of them were non-existent, and others were just slightly off center. I had to drill two holes in the bracket, then grind down and reshape some of the truck itself. Don't ask. I honestly can't tell you how I pulled it off and still felt like the body panels were OK.