Frame mounting options for ISF2.8

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Let's see your bracket fabrication for the ISF2.8! What does it take to mount this engine on a 300Tdi chassis? What about a 2.5? NAS V8?

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Bracketry is driven by what transmission is chosen not which frame you have.

I wouldn't mate this to a rover or old zf transmission- it would be short lived.

brdhmltn

Is there a list of sites where builders are documenting? I'd like to see the different transmission options and lengths. ax15, nv3550, nv4500..... I'm a manual guy.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
Does rev 3550 have enough Torque capacity for this engine? The 4500 is an obvious alternative but it's longer..

Uncle Douglas

Is there a list of sites where builders are documenting? I'd like to see the different transmission options and lengths. ax15, nv3550, nv4500..... I'm a manual guy.

4wheeler magazine has covered two of the Alpha group of engine builds.
The three of us on this board with the engines are in the Beta group.
Tim Golden @ Mastodon Motors has the Scout that was fitted with one for sale.

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
I'm leaning heavily on an auto with the isf2.8 when I do the next build. Looking forward to your post install thoughts on that tranny Doug.

Red90

Does rev 3550 have enough Torque capacity for this engine? The 4500 is an obvious alternative but it's longer..

The manufacture's rating is 300 lb-ft, so it should be fine. Size looks like it should be an easy fit and the shifter is in a good location. A 4500 will certainly require clearancing and the shifter is in a bad spot.

brdhmltn

4wheeler magazine has covered two of the Alpha group of engine builds.
The three of us on this board with the engines are in the Beta group.
Tim Golden @ Mastodon Motors has the Scout that was fitted with one for sale.

I found a link about the scout.
http://www.tflcar.com/2017/05/badass-international-scout-800-resto-mod-with-a-2-8-l-cummins-diesel-video/

Here is a build thread on a 60 series wagon FJ60 with an H55f mounted behind it
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cummins-r2-8-conversion-build-thread.997891/

Uncle Douglas

The manufacture's rating is 300 lb-ft, so it should be fine. Size looks like it should be an easy fit and the shifter is in a good location. A 4500 will certainly require clearancing and the shifter is in a bad spot.

The 2.8 can be turned up to the second tune which is well above 300ft bls.
I'd plan for something beefier.

brdhmltn

Silly question: What about the MT82 from the pumas? It's basically a mustang box, should be strong. I'm definitely not the person with any knowledge on Puma setups though. Ashcroft doesn't show torque ratings on the Puma MT82. Mustang MT82's are rated at 720 ft lbs in a 3800 lb car. (or 369ft/lbs @ 9350lb vehicle weight)

according to http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t311084/

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
so now that Axis and Ashcroft are both recommending the stumpy upgraded R380 for the manual defender installs, with the LT230 in stock mounts, where would this land the engine mounts? I really want to get a galvanized frame for my next project and build up the rolling chassis and powertrain before I get the donor. is there any way to do a mount install on a galvy frame without compromising it?

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
You would have to re-galvanize the frame. I would get a steel frame, weld in whatever mounts you want, test fit it and then get it galvanized. It isn't very expensive to have it done.