Crankcase breather leaks

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
What makes the crankcase breather on a 300Tdi leak? Mine leaked; I replaced it; the replacement leaks. What could be causing this?

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Did it come in a blue box? I replaced my leaking unit with a tight fitting Allisport unit, curing my leaking issue,

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Did the one you removed have an O ring on the part that slides into the valve cover? If not, it should.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, mine has the o-ring. Mine is leaking from the body of the breather, near the bottom.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
How does the leak manifest? Can you see/hear it? What are the symptoms/results of a leak? Reading this thread made me think of a sound I think I hear.

Napalm00

Technical Excellence Contributor
No sound. It leaks from the hole in the valve cover that the cyclone breather connects to.

I actually replaced the O-ring on mine with a viton oring , no more leaks

AdamSanta85

FWIW not really thrilled with the Allisport breather tank. Oil still gets around whatever baffles they put in it and makes its way to the intake on an otherwise healthy engine. If the baffling was done correctly (permitting my engine wasn't literally puking oil, which it isn't) it wouldn't get there.

I am seriously considering adding a small catch bottle inline to see what it is collecting, or just running the separator line to a catch can with a filter on top and capping the intake port.

We used to have these kinda issues on Subaru's at higher boost levels and resolved it this way.

watermark.axd

54585465_L_63c607a7-8acc-4897-92f0-50fb874afc38.jpg

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
FWIW not really thrilled with the Allisport breather tank. Oil still gets around whatever baffles they put in it and makes its way to the intake on an otherwise healthy engine.

Even the new JLR TDV6 and the Ingenium 2.0L diesels end up with a good amount of oil in the intake. I always thought that was normal for a diesel.

Viton

No sound. It leaks from the hole in the valve cover that the cyclone breather connects to.

I actually replaced the O-ring on mine with a Viton o-ring , no more leaks

Tell us the particulars of the O-ring,
(1) where did you buy it
(2) The dimensions of the ring (OD & the thickness of it).

Thanks

Viton

I have installed A Mann ProVent 200 on both of my diesels one of these just after the CCV. Factory CCV's are pretty worthless & do send a lot of oil into the intake.
In our Jeep CRD 2.8 I use a catch can and recover almost 8 ounces every 2,000 miles.
On the 300Tdi, since it feeds/drains back into the crankcase, I have no measure of it's volume but the intake hose is nearly absent of oil film.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
So the funky looking braided hose that wraps around to the other side of the engine, this is having too much oil pass through to the intake; or are we talking about an external leak of oil to the side of the head where the breather is attached? Both?

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
It's not awful but it's annoying.

Attachments

• 3CBD3344-562E-4D09-BCA5-827A1B4D25C9.jpg
    3CBD3344-562E-4D09-BCA5-827A1B4D25C9.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 921