NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
How 'bout those Cummings motors!

cummings.png

There's no 'g' in Cummins. ;)

LOL! I didn't even notice I did that.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Removed the cummins manual flywheel and had it machined. Here is the Cummins to GM adapter and hub for the torque converter fitted. Waiting for the 6l80e and adapter as well as the new lt230 from Ashcrofts.

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 293

Overlander

Callsign: KM4BOR
Removed the cummins manual flywheel and had it machined. Here is the Cummins to GM adapter and hub for the torque converter fitted. Waiting for the 6l80e and adapter as well as the new lt230 from Ashcrofts.

progress! thanks so much Doug. What drove you to choose that autobox? I'm thinking I'll go autobox as well.

Uncle Douglas

progress! thanks so much Doug. What drove you to choose that autobox? I'm thinking I'll go autobox as well.

Customer/owner preference. The 6 speed per the Cummins gear ratio calculator will work nicely with the GBR 4:10 diffs, 35 inch tires etc.
The 6l80e gets its torque and throttle position readings to determine when to shift via can bus which the Cummins has.

Overlander

Customer/owner preference. The 6 speed per the Cummins gear ratio calculator will work nicely with the GBR 4:10 diffs, 35 inch tires etc.
The 6l80e gets its torque and throttle position readings to determine when to shift via can bus which the Cummins has.

Got it. Any thoughts yet on suitability of a Rover ZF with this engine?

Uncle Douglas

The issue with the ZF isn't as much suitability to the engine so much as the age/ of that technology (pushing 40 yrs now). The ZF's have an internal governor that controls shift points. The 4hp22 is 100% mechanical and even if you swapped out the V8 governor to the one that was used in the tdi disco's or the one used behind the BMW 5cyl diesels, none of those engines had similar torque curves to the Cummins which is pretty much a straight line with max torque @ only 1500 rpm.

IE if you want an automatic that isn't a complete dog you need a modern programmable transmission. The GM 6l80e is a very robust unit and is one of the more popular transmissions currently produced. Try finding a torque converter for an old 4hp22. Had a friend looking last week and the companies he touched base with that can rebuild them need your core first as they have nothing in stock- ie old trans= little demand/support. Modern profit management software is killing parts supplies for old iron. If the argument is parts availability in developing nations, I'd put my money on the current American trans not the antique German one.

Overlander

The issue with the ZF isn't as much suitability to the engine so much as the age/ of that technology (pushing 40 yrs now). The ZF's have an internal governor that controls shift points. The 4hp22 is 100% mechanical and even if you swapped out the V8 governor to the one that was used in the tdi disco's or the one used behind the BMW 5cyl diesels, none of those engines had similar torque curves to the Cummins which is pretty much a straight line with max torque @ only 1500 rpm.

IE if you want an automatic that isn't a complete dog you need a modern programmable transmission. The GM 6l80e is a very robust unit and is one of the more popular transmissions currently produced. Try finding a torque converter for an old 4hp22. Had a friend looking last week and the companies he touched base with that can rebuild them need your core first as they have nothing in stock- ie old trans= little demand/support. Modern profit management software is killing parts supplies for old iron. If the argument is parts availability in developing nations, I'd put my money on the current American trans not the antique German one.

exactly advise I was looking for. thanks again for breaking new ground for us.

Overlander

I'm looking forward to hearing about how you work out motor mounts, power steering, intercooler and radiator.

DefendersNW

I'm looking forward to hearing about how you work out motor mounts, power steering, intercooler and radiator.

The calculator for heat/cooling indicates that the stock 300tdi radiator and intercooler setup will work - we are using Allisport stuff since we have it on the shelf and know it will improve the cooling over a worn out stock unit.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member

Man, that's sexy.

I want one so badly.

How much longer now?

Uncle Douglas

Need to get the lump in situ in the chassis to figure a few things out so threw a used lt230q on.
Here's the Cummins 2.8 adapted to GM 6l80e 6 speed auto adapted to rover lt230. The lt230 will be mounted in the stock location.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    FullSizeRender (8).jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 296

Overlander

well damn. This is like watching SpaceX progress. Doug is the Elon Musk of Defender conversions!