NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum  

Go Back   NAS-ROW - The Land Rover Defender Forum > NAS-ROW Technical Forums > Cummins ISF2.8 Engine Conversions

Old 08-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
bkeef

Default Which radiator

Guys that have done this, which radiator did you go with? We have a few inches of depth to play with, but its tight in the engine area. Using stock innercooler.

I added a dual evaporator AC unit and powered fan to my unit and re used my 200TDI radiator.

Did my first 80 mile trip on the highway and had some overheat potentials. Was runninf up around 216-218F. As soon as you pull off the temps would drop down.

Im running around 2150 RPM at 65-70 MPH with 1.2 Tcase NV3550. Turbo is right on edge of spool. Noticed a little oil getting pulled from crank case . Shop is going to reach out to Brittany to discuss breather/ vacuum routing.

Motor runs way stronger than 200 TDI. Good acceleration.

First real time in truck and we are still sorting steering etc. Toe in was off so it drove like a bus. Off to paint once this is sorted
Thanks
Brian
bkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
1of40

Member Trucks

I did a britpart radiator when I did the 2.5NA swap. My operating temps on the IR gun show mid 180’s. I don’t have a tach but run a 1.4 tc and it’ll do 70 in 4th gear, low 80’s in 5th with little to no headwinds. I use a $65 electric fan I found on eBay.
1of40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1of40 For This Useful Post:
bkeef (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
AdamSanta85

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeef View Post
Guys that have done this, which radiator did you go with? We have a few inches of depth to play with, but its tight in the engine area. Using stock innercooler.

I added a dual evaporator AC unit and powered fan to my unit and re used my 200TDI radiator.

Did my first 80 mile trip on the highway and had some overheat potentials. Was runninf up around 216-218F. As soon as you pull off the temps would drop down.

Im running around 2150 RPM at 65-70 MPH with 1.2 Tcase NV3550. Turbo is right on edge of spool. Noticed a little oil getting pulled from crank case . Shop is going to reach out to Brittany to discuss breather/ vacuum routing.

First real time in truck and we are still sorting steering etc. Toe in was off so it drove like a bus. Off to paint once this is sorted
Thanks
Brian
Nice! Cruises easy at 70+mph? Sorry don't have radiator advice for you
AdamSanta85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #4
bkeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
Nice! Cruises easy at 70+mph? Sorry don't have radiator advice for you

Yes it makes 70 ish great. My steering was wonky so it didnt push it. I had truck in 5th gear on the hills. Was able to keep it there for the most part
The Following User Says Thank You to bkeef For This Useful Post:
AdamSanta85 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #5
RBBailey

Member Trucks

I have a refurbished stock Disco 300Tdi radiator in my truck, and even on 90 degree days I have a hard time getting above 180 on normal drives. If I go long, or do the hills once warm, it will run normal temps.

In other words, a clean stock radiator does well.

But I can also barely get to 75 if I try hard. Not sure if that has anything to do with the radiator though......
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #6
bkeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I have a refurbished stock Disco 300Tdi radiator in my truck, and even on 90 degree days I have a hard time getting above 180 on normal drives. If I go long, or do the hills once warm, it will run normal temps.

But I can also barely get to 75 if I try hard. Not sure if that has anything to do with the radiator though......
Thanks
I have a feeling the old radiator was the culprit. Once we stacked a big condenser coil for the air conditioning and some lovely SC heat, we were bound to warm up a bit. Gonna see if we can get a Griffin to fit when the shop gets back on it.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:31 AM   #7
WaywardLR

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post

Sounds like you need to replace your thermostat. I had put new one in my 200TDi along with a new mechanical temp gauge. Same issue you were having. Replaced it with another new one and temps go up to where they should, 185/190.
WaywardLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
13diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeef View Post

Thanks
Brian

Going to use a Puma radiator/intercooler setup for now with electric fan. Will upgrade as necessary eventually.
13diamonds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
RBBailey

Member Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardLR View Post
Sounds like you need to replace your thermostat. I had put new one in my 200TDi along with a new mechanical temp gauge. Same issue you were having. Replaced it with another new one and temps go up to where they should, 185/190.

I have been thinking the same, but it opens at 180. At least, all hoses are getting equally warm, so I'm assuming I'm getting full flow.
RBBailey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
rocky

I changed the thermostat on mine in an effort to help out with temperature fluctuations.

It made no discernible difference at all.