That Other Site

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
I still troll around on DSource for sale items, or interesting info, or locals that post things I could PM about. And since I have add-blocker going, I don't notice anything odd about it, except a few blank spaces in the corners here and there, etc...

I think they really went overboard with the adds. If you are going to run ads, do it in a way that doesn't interfere with your users' experience.

Today I noticed something new, that can't be blocked, and is really annoying enough that I will probably troll over there even less. There is a bot that is automatically linking key words in your post to Amazon searches.

For instance, someone mentioned turbo and inter cooler in their post, and those two words now are links to Amazon.com. In a forum of this type, when someone links something in their post, I click on it, because usually it leads to another website that is cool or interesting and on topic. Now you have to decide it the link is something the user put there, or the bot!

Annoying.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Turn off add blocker, and if that doesn't work, sign off, and go there as guest.

You might have them turned off because of your god-like status.

...I mean, vendor status. ;)

nas90tdi

I am surprised we are all still grandfathered in. I assumed it would be taken by now.
I did go there from a search the other day in a different browser. And, if I had to see all the ads that showed when I wasn't signed in, I would never open that site. I was amazed how much shit popped up.

I see people complaining, but I don't see it. It's as bad as they say.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I just signed off and turned off blocker and I got the jumble of ads at the bottom, and after a while the other showed up on the top.

Do you see the VigLinks in the anti-turbo-200Tdi thread?

nas90tdi

I don't see any of that. My view is basically like this site except a different color. And, the Google search function.
Were you member back when Chris VonC owned the site?

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
I've been around, but I think I registered about four years ago, maybe a bit more.

nas90tdi

Ah, that's why. When Chris let the site go current members were grandfathered in to not see the commercial content. I don't remember the exact details of it. But that was maybe as much as 12 years ago. I don't remember exactly. Since then you are free to be bombarded with advertising if you join.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Interesting. I never noticed any ads and such till this sight opened up and it was sold, I guess, a second time?

Red90

Does it seem like 12 years. LOL. The site was sold first in August 2011. The new owner did put up ads, but they were supposed to only be visible to new members. Sale number 2 was November 2016. The new owners are completely hand's off. They are never seen.

The Dro

Illustrious
Old members were grandfathered by the 2nd buyer. The new company hasn't changed that part.

My blocker works great... even if I'm not logged in, won't show me adds and stops the tracking. It blocks 20+ trackers...

Here ZERO.

nas90tdi

Really, Chris still had it in 2011? Yeah, it seems a lot longer ago than that to me. I guess he wasn't around as much maybe, so it just seems like a long time since he had it. He seemed to have lost his steam a bit after his AA Yellow 90 caught fire. I can understand that.
I seldom see any of the people from the beginning. So many moved on to smarter toys than us.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I don't know anybody there anymore.

When it comes to that other site, McMurtry said it best...

Been a few years
Since I got here
Seen 'em come and seen 'em go
Crowds assemble and they hang out a while
Then they melt away like an early snow

On to some bright future somewhere
Better times on down the road
Wondering if they ever got there
Wherever it was they thought they'd go​

FlyersFan76

I still troll around on DSource for sale items, or interesting info, or locals that post things I could PM about. And since I have add-blocker going, I don't notice anything odd about it, except a few blank spaces in the corners here and there, etc...

I think they really went overboard with the adds. If you are going to run ads, do it in a way that doesn't interfere with your users' experience.

Today I noticed something new, that can't be blocked, and is really annoying enough that I will probably troll over there even less. There is a bot that is automatically linking key words in your post to Amazon searches.

For instance, someone mentioned turbo and inter cooler in their post, and those two words now are links to Amazon.com. In a forum of this type, when someone links something in their post, I click on it, because usually it leads to another website that is cool or interesting and on topic. Now you have to decide it the link is something the user put there, or the bot!

Annoying.

I remember a couple years ago where news stories, ie pretty much everything written on the internet, had specific words double underlined.

You click on them and was taken to something totally unrelated.

I haven't seen that over there though.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Whether or not you get the underlined affiliate links is a function of which ad blocker you use, which block lists it uses, and when they were last updated.

BarryO

I've never seen an ad there. Then I opened a new window in Incognito mode on my browser (to be in Guest mode), and they popped up. Interesting. If it was sold, I guess it makes sense; the current owners are going to want to run it as a profit center