Cummins Repower ISF 2.8 for Defenders

defenderholty

Have you seen a dealer for the price? It may not be as bad as you think.

And my experience with computer controlled vehicles has been the opposite, including two GMT-800 trucks, a 2002 2500HD with an Allison and 8.1L, and a 2500 with the 4L80e and 6.0L. The 6.0L had an electrical glitch that the radio would not turn on if it was not on when the truck was started. It went 250k miles before it was stolen during an elk hunt. The 8.1L has 300k+ miles, and I'm about to leave for another 8k mile trip. The electrics have been troublefree, though the engine started using a little oil after 200k miles.

Both trucks were bone stock except tires, speakers and a module that allowed aux input to the stock radio. I finally put a set of OEM 17" wheels on the 8.1L truck so I could use a 34x10.5-17 tire on it.

I build a lot of racecars, and a few LSx swaps. I deal with electrical modules of all sorts, OEM and aftermarket. With few exceptions I see nearly flawless performance from OEM ECM/BCM/TCM modules unless they have been unsympathetically treated. I would not hesitate to use an electrically controlled vehicle for sport or daily use.

I was on their mailing list for the release of these crate engines. The engine out of the crate with "fly by wire" accelerator is around $9k. You might get a couple of other things, but it seems like no intercooler or radiator was supplied. I can't remember if the other ancillaries came with it. Probably at least came with an alternator.

rocky

NAS-ROW Addict
The killer for me is the 90 day warranty effective leaving the Cummins warehouse. I know it’s early days in this conversion but it will take far longer than 90 days to complete most of conversions.

DefendersNW

I was on their mailing list for the release of these crate engines. The engine out of the crate with "fly by wire" accelerator is around $9k. You might get a couple of other things, but it seems like no intercooler or radiator was supplied. I can't remember if the other ancillaries came with it. Probably at least came with an alternator.

All on the engine ancillaries are on the motor with the exception of Aircon. Off engine stuff is up to the individual installation (radiator/IC, Exhaust, bell housing, etc...) Fuel and Oil filter mounts and hoses are included, but they can be mounted remotely.

brdhmltn

New arrival today. I had it delivered to work, but I'm at home with my wife and 5 day old daughter.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 234

brdhmltn

Our baby girl (first child) is about a trillion times more exciting than any engine. But I really look forward to riding her around in the truck with that engine in it.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 225

brdhmltn

If anyone ordered one of these on the first day, you'll already know this. For anyone else though - Cummins says you will get notifications of shipping events. I received both an email and text this morning (20th) that my engine had shipped. The engine was delivered yesterday (19th). Fedex delivered from Memphis to Huntsville - next day before 9:30 am. They beat next day early am delivery. So be warned your engine may arrive to you before you actually get notification of shipment. Ship on 18th, delivered on 19th, notification of shipment on 20th. Might be important if you are receiving somewhere you might need to notify the person accepting the shipment.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
working on the front frame side mounts

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 404
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 374
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 370

brdhmltn

Received the books in the mail today. Owners Manual, Installation Manual, Quick Start Guide, Warranty card.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.JPG
    IMG_2569.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 247

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
I can't wait to see a video shot from inside a 110 with one of these motors. Will they be quieter than the theee hundy? Surely they will be smoother, right?

I think that's really the only thing I hate about my truck: it's so loud and rough.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Glad to hear you say that, Chris, thought maybe there's something wrong with mine. But actually, I've got mine quieted down enough that I don't have to wear hearing protection! I can actually have a Bluetooth speaker conversation on the phone!

I'm very curious about these engines, but I know I won't ever get one!