Transmission Leak?

LostChord

#%^*!#

200Tdi, R380-stumpy, LHD

So, driving home today and noticed a new smell, quite different than the usual aroma of diesel...Land Rover communication.

Checked under the truck and had a nice reddish-clear puddle (though I'm colorblind :) ) on the ground. Wiped it all down and let the truck idle. New puddle :eek: , coming from the general area in the pic, just behind the oil sump.

The smell was from the fluid leaking onto the hot exhaust.

I was expecting a leak between the transmission and transfer case, but that area is dry as a bizzone.

Seems to be originating on the driver's side, around this paper? gasket, which of course is the most difficult to see :D . Only leaks when the truck is running.

Could not get a good pic up the driver's side becuause the exhaust is blocking the view.

Thoughts? Questions? Troubleshooting? Fixes? Glad it isn't me jokes?...I'll take anything at this point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 281

LostChord

Another pic. Have not yet checked the fluid level in the tranny, but it leaked a good bit of fluid during a 10 minute idle check in the driveway. Before I got home, was probably driving about 30-45 minutes while leaking, or at least that's how long I got to enjoys the new smells.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 202

AdamSanta85

As far as I know that would be engine oil on that gasket unless tranny fluid is making its way in by the transmission main shaft seal into the clutch housing but that is extremely unlikely... (you would see fluid coming out of the wading hole)

That gasket separates the engine block with the housing that holds the real main seal. The flywheel sits inside of it. That gasket on my truck was leaking too. I replaced it when I did my tranny a few weeks back. Originally I assumed it was my rear main leaking, but that would be coming from the wading hole/flywheel inspection port. I used a new gasket and put extra RTV on it. Those lower bolts below it on my truck are still leaking slightly too (especially the middle one).

Maybe try to seal those bolts up first and hope that maybe they are contributing to it? They are much easier to tackle then the gasket.

It would be a big job to replace this as everything has to come off/moved out of the way including the flywheel. Might be easier to pull the engine... Sorry bud.

It is a stupid design.

This is the gasket, part number ERR1440

ERR1440.jpeg

0162.jpg

This is what we are talking about right? (under my truck)

jvEwFKd.jpg

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you just changed your motor oil with "reddish clear" oil you are describing transmission fluid and you indeed have a transmission leak. Pull the wading plug out so it doesn't puddle inside and soak your clutch, ruining it.

steinhnj

Check the first picture again, looks like the wading plug is out. I seem to remember the wading plug is an allen head bolt.

I thought the same thing when I first looked at it.

AdamSanta85

His wading plug is already out.

Now that I think about it, it can't be transmission fluid as it would be behind the rear main seal. That gasket seals engine block to engine block. Even if it was getting in through main shaft.

3955461554_cb1f1d806b_b.jpg

It goes on the back of this (behind rear main seal)

200tdi2.jpg

LostChord

Been tied up today, and will get another look tomorrow afternoon to see if I can get a better indication of where it is coming from.

Interesting, escpeially since any oil I've seen immediately after it goes in comes out pitch black; would not have expected an oil leak.

Hmmm....

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. Appreciate the guidance and direction.

LostChord

Good news: all is well.

Bad news: I'm a maroon.

Wasn't transmission fluid. Wasn't oil. T'was diesel fuel. Yep, diesel fuel.

It became discolored on its way down the side of the motor. Oops.

In short, it was coming from the spill rail connection on the number four injector. Banjo bolt was loose.

At any rate, for those following along at home that may learn from my idiocy, I hit the reset button. Climbed underneath, wiped everything down, then went topside, pulled the hood for max visibility, and repeated the wipe down up top. Went to the gun safe for some hearing projection, fired up the motor, rolled underneath and started watching.

Became obvious in short order that it was fuel coming from up top, but not sure yet from where.

Cut the motor and began tracing lines looking for leaky fuel. Narrowed down the soaked areas to the injector and also the lift pump, so wiped those down again, stuffed some shop rags in strategic locations, and fired it up again.

Rag by lift pump was bone dry; rag by injector was soaked. At first, just thought maybe I needed to tighten the injector down, but it was solid. And that's precisely when I noticed the banjo bolt on the spill rail connection was loose. As in back-it-off-with-your-finger loose.

Facepalm. Double facepalm.

And then the relief that that's all that it was.

Tightened the banjo bolt up, wiped everything dry again, put the hood back on, and went for a spin. All was well. Even passed the flattened-cardboard-box-under-the-truck test.

So there you have it. I'm a maroon.

Check your bolts.