Withams MASSIVE AUCTION

Roverman2010

By order of the UK Ministry of Defence
MASSIVE SALE BY PUBLIC TENDER
Wednesday 30th November 2016
Viewing: Saturday 26th Monday 28th and Tuesday 29th and inc. morning of sale
Approx 1000 + Lots to Include
A VERY Large Quantity of Armoured Vehicle Spares including Saxon, Combat Engineer Tractor CET, Challenger, Warrior, CVRT, FV 432, Viking, Hagglund, Chieftain Etc, To include Engines, Transmissions, Armour Plate, Radiators, Electrical Parts, Control Panels, Alternators, Turrets, Prop. Shafts, Rams, Periscopes, Air Con. Kits, Radio Fitting Kits, CES, Etc. Etc.
New and Used Wheels, Tyres and Track inc Winter Track.
LAND ROVERS, Cars, Vans, Tippers Etc.
LEYLAND DAF 4 x 4 Cargo Trucks some with winches.
HGV`s inc. Volvo FL 6 Fire Rescue Vehicle Etc. Foden 6 x 6 Heavy Recovery Vehicle, Bucher Duro 6 x 6 platforms and workshops Etc Etc.
TRAILERS inc. Penman Wide Track Latest Spec Land Rover Trailers, Comms Trailers, Generator Trailers, Sprayers, Etc. Etc.
DIESEL Generator Sets 5.6 Kva to 30 Kva
ARMOURED and COLLECTORS VEHICLES including Chieftain Main Battle Tank 120mm ( suitable for spares or repair only), CVRT inc. very rare Scorpion/Salamander, Sultan, Spartan, Stormer, Etc.
MISC. EQUIPMENT inc. Tools, Insulated offices, workshops, Heaters, Recovery Equipment, Clansman Radio Equipment, Electronic and Test Equipment, Tents, Canvas, Cam Nets, Scrap Copper Cable, Alluminium, Watches, Compasses, Binoculars, Etc.
VEHICLE and PLANT SPARES inc. Engines, Transmissions and Axles, Bearings, Prop shafts, Hydraulic Rams, Electrical Parts, Batteries, Landrover, Bedford, Leyland, Daf, Foden, Man, Renault, JCB, Pinzgauer, Volvo, Etc. Etc. Etc.

stu454

Callsign: KN4CBB
Oh man, all of those XZLs and XCLs and XLs. What I would give to be stationed in GB and not Kansas. I would load a pile of that shit on with my household goods.

Could you just bring in a container full of them and go into the tire bidness for a few months?

mgreenspan

Founding Member
The price is right. I paid 70gbp per wheel (rim and ire balanced) for XZYs on 1 ton rims when I was stationed there. That was not Witham but same idea.

AdamSanta85

So what is the deal? I am new to this. Do we have to go in person? Loading up a 20 footer with parts and RORO Tithonus would be pretty epic.

Also I would assume we are VAT exempt since it is for export. How do we get a number for that?

Last edited:

JohnsD90

Founding Member
So what is the deal? I am new to this. Do we have to go in person? Loading up a 20 footer with parts and RORO Tithonus would be pretty epic.

Also I would assume we are VAT exempt since it is for export. How do we get a number for that?

Email response from Auction Company when I asked similar questions. (you do not need a VAT number, you would just provide BOL, and any other country specific documents proving export):

Thanks for the email.

Bids from the USA are welcome and someone else can collect on your behalf.

VAT is refundable when we receive proof of export.

I hope this helps.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Guys, I've looked into this and here's the deal:

There are lots of good deals to be had but the loading into a container, delivery of the container to the port, and then the trans-ocean shipment is going to kill you. These auctions might make sense for a big stateside parts company that can fill a container but it won't for you or me. Given that much of what they sell is ex-MOD take-offs, there's probably not a big enough market for that stuff to justify the expense and hassle for a US vendor.

My only hope is that one of my Army buddies will get stationed in the UK and bring back a lot of XZLs for me. I can't realistically make it happen any other way. I even looked into buying some and shipping them to Brian Hall's UK team for shipment in one of his containers but without a friend at Witham's to load them up and haul them across the country, it's prohibitively expensive.

JohnsD90

Founding Member

There are lots of good deals to be had but the loading into a container, delivery of the container to the port, and then the trans-ocean shipment is going to kill you. These auctions might make sense for a big stateside parts company that can fill a container but it won't for you or me. Given that much of what they sell is ex-MOD take-offs, there's probably not a big enough market for that stuff to justify the expense and hassle for a US vendor.

My only hope is that one of my Army buddies will get stationed in the UK and bring back a lot of XZLs for me. I can't realistically make it happen any other way. I even looked into buying some and shipping them to Brian Hall's UK team for shipment in one of his containers but without a friend at Witham's to load them up and haul them across the country, it's prohibitively expensive.

You can also have all the parts crated & ship via roro based on a per CBM (or per ton if very dense) basis, you still need someone there to crate & deliver to port, but if the crate isn't an outrageous size, this should be no issue for a friend abroad with a trailer & engine hoist. I have not shipped this way but I have done my due diligence on the topic.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
NAS-ROW Group Buy.

Have a sticky thread for a running "I would buy" wish list.

Might work. Maybe?

My brother was on his way to being stationed in UK for a 3 year period, and we started looking into this type of thing. But he opted out at the last minute and we never got a chance to put our plans into action.

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
It's risky. You're purchasing and bringing a bunch of heavy, low-demand parts over at significant expense and then relying on internet people to come up with the money for their parts and share of the shipping. Then you have to bring everything to the states and break them up into individual shipments and get those sent out to the participants. If one person flakes out, everybody else's price just went up significantly and someone is getting stuck with parts that they might not want.

RBBailey

NAS-ROW Addict
Callsign: KF7KFZ
Yeah, it would have to be done very carefully and probably locally. That is, a container to Seattle for people in the NW.

You don't trust internet people??? Hummmm...

AdamSanta85

You don't have to fill a container. There are freight consolidation companies. They will pickup your goods and put your stuff in a shared container.

My truck came in a shared container.

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
Correct, If the tires are on a pallet there are services that will pick them up and deliver anywhere in the Uk. That said, if you are shipping to the US the pallet needs to be made of fumigated wood and be stamped as such or Dept of Ag may/will jump on your shipment.