Paint code for X MOD trucks

Uncle Douglas

Callsign: delete
I have a tithonus here that we did a galvanized chassis, galv bulkhead, tdi conversion on etc. The owner wants me to match the MOD paint when painting the bulkhead and a few touch up area's.
Has anyone come up with a paint code for that color by chance ?

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Oh man, this thread went on forever on D90 Source and I don't think there was ever a definitive answer. There are "NATO Green" paints available on eBay UK but I've heard that the colors are all over the map since none of them are actual military paint.

If someone can figure out how to get a shipment of this in, I need some. I have two doors and a floorboard to paint.

JohnsD90

Founding Member
Oh man, this thread went on forever on D90 Source and I don't think there was ever a definitive answer. There are "NATO Green" paints available on eBay UK but I've heard that the colors are all over the map since none of them are actual military paint.

If someone can figure out how to get a shipment of this in, I need some. I have two doors and a floorboard to paint.

I have no idea what the UK military does, but for the Aussies, they based their paint codes off US Federal Standard paint codes, so if you can find the route US Federal Standard code, you may find that the paint is available cheap in the US without having to custom order it.

Uncle Douglas

I have no idea what the UK military does, but for the Aussies, they based their paint codes off US Federal Standard paint codes, so if you can find the route US Federal Standard code, you may find that the paint is available cheap in the US without having to custom order it.

The Aussies used a far superior grade of paint (like everything else- except Shaynes sense of humor) as well on the perenties but I'm working on a tithonus....

The x mod paint is porous and obviously flat. I was going to see if the local ppg shop could photo/computer match it if I took a piece in- but like Chris said its a question of which part to take because the damn stuff fades out quickly

Last edited:

meatblanket

Last edited:

DefendersNW

Most Tithonus were repainted (poorly) with non-IR reflective NATO green paint. I've got a couple sources in the UK, but no air-shipments for this one, and no guarantee that it will match the fade level of any single truck...

Last edited:

Uncle Douglas

What you should be doing is just painting the truck white.

Not my call Jimmy.

I realize some are into the military look but Its lost on me.Spending a fortune building this truck and leaving it nato green doesn't feel right.

If the turbo charged perentie wasn't so damned much fun to drive it would never move in the driveway.

Last edited:

nas90tdi

I ordered a couple of different colors from https://www.armyjeepparts.net/c-211-gci-paint.aspx. And a few other places.None of them matched. Much like the other thread mentioned, I never came up with a real answer. I don't remember what mine turned out be in the end. I actually just had to match mine from the back of one of the vent flaps at the paint store. All my exposed paint was all over the place color wise. I also went matte so it doesn't soak up every oily handprint like the flat does.

Uncle Douglas

Remember, the customer isn't always right.

This isn't Fast N Loud, I cant just paint it whatever color and Richard Rawlings will pay me anyway.

The other two military trucks he had me do, one in Firenze Red and the other Tithonus will be Bonatti. Those are both on expensive alloys and have leather interiors etc.

On this one I was having an uphill battle talking him into painting the wolf wheels either white or black for some contrast.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
You guys should be looking in the house paint section of Lowes or Home Depot, that's probably where MoD gets it.

meatblanket

You guys should be looking in the house paint section of Lowes or Home Depot, that's probably where MoD gets it.

That link I posted was like $65 a gallon. Which, for automotive paint, is ridiculously cheap and you may as well apply it with a brush and/or a roller. It's not latex though.:p

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
I really need a source for this paint. I have new doors en route from Brian and I need to match the Tithonus paint.

Also, moving this to the Technical forum.

chris snell

Administrator
Staff member
I ordered a couple of different colors from https://www.armyjeepparts.net/c-211-gci-paint.aspx. And a few other places.None of them matched. Much like the other thread mentioned, I never came up with a real answer. I don't remember what mine turned out be in the end. I actually just had to match mine from the back of one of the vent flaps at the paint store. All my exposed paint was all over the place color wise. I also went matte so it doesn't soak up every oily handprint like the flat does.

Can you post some pics of your painted parts? I had a color match done but never had the paint made. If yours looks okay, I might just go that route. I have two doors, a floorboard, and a tailgate that need paint.