Trump

Jeff B

So.... Ray, admittedly I just havent followed as much of this campaign outside of the Johnson/Weld World....

So, what's the scoop on this Flynn dude?

(There, politics thread officially started...)

:D

Ray_G

So.... Ray, admittedly I just havent followed as much of this campaign outside of the Johnson/Weld World....

So, what's the scoop on this Flynn dude?

(There, politics thread officially started...)

:D

May as well have a version of this convo going on here, Dweb, & D90 right?

Flynn is a polarizing figure in my world. He has very loyal supporters-not surprising given the community he grew up in (SpecOps) but his tenure at DIA did not go well and even apology pieces long on praise and short on substance don't have a good explanation for that (http://observer.com/2016/11/the-mike-flynn-i-know/). I know the guy who followed him very well and lets just say it is has been very easy being the guy that followed him and improving the organization not just in terms of morale but more importantly output.

As far as what it gets us, you get someone who seems to genuinely believe ISIS is an existential threat to the US (it isn't, even if they formed a Caliphate of all the Arab Muslim world it would have the GDP of Spain, and then be easily targeted) but has some close ties with Russia-which is an existential threat to the US.

You'll note that he ended up as NSA...b/c he isn't going to make it through Congress for a more important position (SecDef, DNI, etc).

At this point I hope that Mattis gets the nod for SecDef, as unlikely as I think that will be, just because we could use a warrior in that spot-and to tell the rest of the swamp draining swampies what is what about the real world.

Jeff B

May as well have a version of this convo going on here, Dweb, & D90 right?

At this point I hope that Mattis gets the nod for SecDef, as unlikely as I think that will be, just because we could use a warrior in that spot-and to tell the rest of the swamp draining swampies what is what about the real world.

I figgered we could draw Raub out of the shadows....

Maybe the Trumper can walk the fine line of swamp draining out of the box ideas with real world cynicism....

Ray_G

I figgered we could draw Raub out of the shadows....

Maybe the Trumper can walk the fine line of swamp draining out of the box ideas with real world cynicism....

Where is Raub? I'm surprised he isn't over here yet. I'll ping him on the book of faces but I know ya'll texted him already.

Maybe is a lot like hope (to tie it back to Obama), and the real world has a vicious way of overwhelming hopes and maybes very quickly. April looked at me like I was a savage the other day when she said something to the effect of "Well, I hope something-something..." and I responded off the cuff with "Hope in one hand, sh*t in the other-tell me which one fills up first" (*Note, probably need to think through what I say too my wife more cleary) I think we'll see the overwhelming span of responsibility, in fact I'd offer we are seeing that already, and that will put a lot of strain on the very same gov't workers that some have shown so much disdain for (he says, further trying to draw Raub out) because someone has to be a gdamn professional.

Ray_G

Interesting comments. Thanks. I'm always skeptical of people who think COIN is where we should focus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rotest-against-Republican-discrimination.html this was funny.

COIN is a great place to practice and learn, but these days we're studying the Somme since near peers fire arty by the division level and make grid squares go away.

Put another way, we don't have enough ATGMs...
Would be interesting to chat in a sidebar, we had TRANSCOM in the other day-that dude is SHARP but his comments about dwell for Air Nat Guard big wing tankers and global lift were...disconcerting.

As far as the starbucks thing, it's funny on a lot of levels. That a barista is going to have a political viewpoint is funny-make coffee service worker. That a conservative will be passive aggressive enough to have them write Trump on their pumpkin spice latte is just as amusing b/c the $ is still going to a far left of center coorp-and that stuff isn't cheap!

SNL is going to have a field day the next four years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWSLlz0Fdo

chris snell

Administrator
Callsign: NW5W
Staff member
Like every other military person on social media, I've been rooting for Mattis as SecDef. Surely some of this enthusiasm has been noticed by the Trump staff, right? I think we all know the reasons why we like this guy--charismatic leader, did great things in Iraq, etc.--but are there any legitimate reasons why he would be a bad pick?

As for the D90 Source thread, I hope you guys pack up camp and move it over here. :)

Ray_G

Like every other military person on social media, I've been rooting for Mattis as SecDef. Surely some of this enthusiasm has been noticed by the Trump staff, right? I think we all know the reasons why we like this guy--charismatic leader, did great things in Iraq, etc.--but are there any legitimate reasons why he would be a bad pick?

As for the D90 Source thread, I hope you guys pack up camp and move it over here. :)

Inside the USMC he is definitely revered for all that you said; as far as baggage goes there is extraordinarily little since he is very much the warrior-monk portrayed. The downsides to his nomination are the known issues with the absence of politically correct language (i.e. it is fun to kill people sometimes (but, well, it is...)) and that he'd have to get a waiver since he hasn't be retired long enough. That isn't without precedence of course.

At some point some of the outside interests may take note that the Marine Corps would, in theory, have both the SecDef and CJCS positions but that really isn't all that important in this day and age-especially with Mattis and Dunford as they are both incredibly professional and recognize each service is essential to the fight in their own way.
mattis_medium.jpg

Trump continues to get his cage raddled by petty things and pop off like the sensitive tool that he is. Needs to go a set and focus on the big picture. Edit - trying to upload two twitter screen captures (png) that get kicked out for some reason.

Attachments

• image-2684216669.jpg
    image-2684216669.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 215
  • image-2228117668.jpg
    image-2228117668.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited: