Stainless Steel Flex Brake Lines

After bursting a stock hose in southern Mexico in our RRC, we replaced them all with the teflon-lined stainless steel braided hoses. The pedal is noticeably firmer and brake control is better.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Like every other LR project nothing ever goes as planned. The new hoses came in perfect condition from Rovers North, the old rubber hoses came off and the new ones went on without any issues and then the drama started. I hooked up the Power Bleeder, pumped it up and started the process of bleeding the brake lines. The rears bled fine but suspiciously no bubbles in the fluid. After running it for a while I went to bleeding the front. Lots of bubbles and then a solid stream. WTF? I took her for a spin and the brakes sucked bad. I re-bled then again and no bubbles front or back. Another test drive with the same poor results. By now I have ran over a quart of fluid thru the piping.
Stumped I called my buddy Denis who pointed out that the bleed nipple isn't at the high point of the caliper and that I probably had air trapped in the top of the caliper. I unbolted it, rotated it so the nipple was at the top and sure enough a bunch of air came out when I re-bled it for the umpteenth time. Who the hell designs something so idiotic?

Attachments

• IMG_7980.jpg
    IMG_7980.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 272

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
That would put the piping on the front of the axle. My piping is on the back of the axle tube. The photo is taken from the back of the truck facing forward. That is the right rear caliper.

Attachments

• IMG_7984.jpg
    IMG_7984.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 255

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
That would put the piping on the front of the axle. My piping is on the back of the axle tube. The photo is taken from the back of the truck facing forward. That is the right rear caliper.

Your piping is wrong. It definitely does not look right. Let me go out and take a pic of my truck, I have 110 brakes on mine.

jymmiejamz

Founding Member
Callsign: KN4JHI
Well I posted the correct part number for a left hand 110 calliper along with the picture. based on your picture, you have that installed on the right side. I would buy two new hard lines that are correct for your application and install the callipers on the correct side. Here is a pic of mine.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
That is the plan. I need the part numbers for the hard lines. Allbrit.de has multiple part numbers for each side.
Can anybody confirm these parts numbers before I order them?
NTC7964 Right Side Pipe
ANR2779 Left Side Pipe
I have calipers so I don't need part numbers for them.

javelinadave

Administrator
Staff member
Swapped the calipers to their correct sides, easily bent the piping and bled the system. What a huge difference. The truck now stops as well as any non-ABS vehicle I have ever driven. A rock solid pedal with way better stopping ability than with the drum brakes.

Attachments

• IMG_8071.jpg
    IMG_8071.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_8070-1.jpg
    IMG_8070-1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 250